1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pistons boycott John Kuester

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the interest of moderate fairness, it should be noted that Ben Wallace's older brother died, giving him a legit reason to have blown off the shootaround.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We're a bunch of racists who simply can't understand why millionaire athletes should get to do absolutely anything they want without consequences.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"Its all about R-E-S-P-E-C-T man, you're disrespecting me in front of my family and friends by benching me when I fell asleep and missed the one commitment I had (the shootaround.) And why are you taking me out of the game just because I gave up after turning the ball over and walking back down court?"

4. Starman

Yeah, it's only billionaire corporatists who are supposed to do that.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I thought it was commendable Dumars came out with a statement supporting Kuester. I surely thought Kuester was a goner, but good for an organization to have a coach's back for once. I would have hated for the washed up Hamilton's little pissy fit to be rewarded.

6. Starman

Kuester is almost certainly a goner anyway -- the only way he survives past the end of the season is whoever the owner is next season wants to pinch every single penny they possibly can..

If Dumars went to Karen Davidson and said, "I want to pay off Kuester's contract and hire another coach," he was most likely told, "If Kuester goes, the next coach is you and I ain't paying you one rusty penny more than you're already making, OR paying anybody else to assume any of your administrative duties."

The whole episode Monday was a complete charade on everybody's part. "Everybody smile and make nicey-nicey, in six or eight weeks the season is over and 95% of us will be somewhere else next year."

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I seem to recall reading a story in one of the Detroit papers that the value of the Pistons has been steadily declining during the time the team has been looking for a buyer. Does that sound familiar? If so, karma is a bitch.

8. Starman

Well, with the entire region in economic free-fall, any consumer-driven entertainment/performance type of business would probably be declining in value.

This shouldn't really come as any big surprise to Davidson or any of her handlers. If they are holding out on the possibility the franchise (and the Palace Entertainment organization) is going to suddenly take a huge leap in value, they'll own it for 20 more years. Considering the sum total of work Karen Davidson put into the franchise consisted of sleeping with a guy 40 years her senior for 13 years, what does she give a shit if she gets $400 million or $200 million for it? In the end it's all found money for her anyway.

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

This is the article I was thinking of.

http://detnews.com/article/20110221/SPORTS0102/102210320/Price-holding-up-Pistons-sale

Sounds like NBA franchise values are generally declining, and the league sure as hell wants a $400 million-plus sale price for the good of the other owners.

Draft saved Draft deleted