1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PiPress to cut 40 jobs...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zeke12, Nov 13, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Is it just me or does that seem like a "neener neener neener" article by the Star Tribune?

3. "The changes will not affect the Pioneer Press' focus on local news or its continued commitment to excellence in servicing readers and advertisers," Ridder said.

That is such a tired line thrown out far too often by these jackasses. How is it possible that cuts won't affect the so-called commitment to excellence?

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

uh oh... a_f's about to shoot, cover your eyes

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Lean Dean strikes again.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

PiPress cutting jobs? I bet they're really pissed about that.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sorry, Meat, I don't follow...

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wait, is it pronounced "pie" or "pee"? Because that makes or breaks the joke, looking back on it.

9. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Come on man, you know it's not like that. When all this cutting jobs shit started two years ago i started to say watch out, be careful, things are going to get bleak, etc ... and while it may have been interpreted as 'the sky is falling' that wasn't the intention.

It's only going to get worse. No, i dont have shit for answers, other than to say get your self acclimated with the web. If I'm a journalism, im learning how to use HTML and the web.

Hell, i've heard rumors that Time Inc is going to be tightening up MORE in January ... and while I dont know what that means for SI, it can't be good.

None of this is good - make what you can now, get that book deal, sell that screenplay, and save, save, save ... (oh, and invest in real estate NEXT winter - end of 2007)

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you obviously know jack shit about the internet other than how to get here if you think html knowledge is going to secure the future

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Got it now, Meat.

It's Pie-Press, short for St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Never even occurred to me to think of the Pee-Press.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sadly, although the pioneer press still has several immensely talented journalists on staff, it's a shell of its former self and not worth the quarter if you're in the twin cities and deciding which paper to buy. it's lost dozens of reporters and editors in the past five years or so and if they were even replaced it was by 22 year olds right out of school. not that there's anything inherently wrong with hiring recent grads but the talent level compared with the star tribune is noticeably lower.

Draft saved Draft deleted