1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pippen wants to return to NBA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Norman Stansfield, Feb 16, 2007.

1. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

Not great? What do you people want?

The first season after MJ retired (1993-94), Pippen averaged 22 points, 8.7 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game, was MVP of the All-Star Game and was named First Team All-NBA and All-Defensive First Team.

That's not pretty good or very good gentlemen. He was great, with Michael and without him.

2. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Ok we already knew that.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan is what made the late 90s Bulls great (in relation to the diluted competition in the league at the time).

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

With Scottie, Michael won six NBA championships and the 1992 Olympic gold medal. Without Scottie, Michael won just this: the 1982 NCAA championship and a 1984 Olympic gold.

Pippen was a great player in his own right.

5. Thank you. He was, in my opinion, one of the three best on-the-ball defenders of all-time. He also had an uncanny ability to score off the glass.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wasn't Scottie an MVP candidate during the 2 years without Jordan(MJ's first retirement)?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Pippen had a chance to be a great player -- but his insecurities prevented him from becoming an elite-level superstar.

It's true the Bulls never would have won anything without his development. Once Jordan/Jackson realized how soft and fragile Pippen was emotionally, they learned how to properly handle him. The two men made him feel important, which was essential to Pippen's self-confidence. Jordan stopped tormenting him, even going as far to make sure he gave him nice presents on his birthday. Jackson coddled the guy beyond belief.

With Jordan there, Pippen received credit as the Bulls became a dynasty, but he was never the guy under the most pressure. It was a perfect situation for him.

Yes, in the first year of Jordan's retirement, he was excellent. But his decision to stay on the bench when Jackson called Toni Kukoc's number was the end. The Bulls probably should have won that series -- Knicks fans should still be sending cheques to Hue Hollins -- but you'll remember that in the next season, the Bulls were faltering. So was Pippen.

Jordan comes back, the Bulls win three more, but, by that time, Pippen morphed into a big baby. I'll never forget the 1998 trade deadline, during Chicago's "Last Dance." The Bulls are in Toronto for a game that day, and Pippen is telling a FOX TV reporter he's hoping Krause will deal him.

The reporter: "Krause says he won't trade you."
    Pippen: "There's still three hours left, you know."
    I said to him, "What's the problem here? You guys have a chance to win your sixth championship. Players across the league would kill to be in your situation."

He just walked away.

After the Bulls broke up, he was poison in both Houston and Portland. He was particularly bad with the Blazers, maybe even the worst influence in a room full of malcontents and losers, which is actually pretty impressive.

Overrated.

8. RokSki

RokSki New Member

If Pippen comes back, I think choice #1 is the Heat. He knows he might actually get some run there, as opposed to the Suns or the Mavs.

I heard Kobe saying something about him going to the Lakers. If Pippen goes there, he's just back for the money, because the Lakers aren't getting past the first round, IMO.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see your point. A career of greatness is often built upon one season...

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Without Michael, Scottie won absolutely nothing.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But... but... he was an all-defensive something guy and the MVP of the most taxing game of alll, the NBA all-star game...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I loved the Barkley interview. Laughed my ass off and he's 100 percent right.

I hope Pippen comes back just so we can watch him fall flat on his face.

Draft saved Draft deleted