1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pinkel: ESPN impacts coaches' health.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Sep 20, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, pressure usually increases as the zeroes on one's paycheck increase. Yes, ESPN has made things more difficult for coaches in terms of visibility and the related pressure, but it's also made the Gary Pinkels of the world rich. Can't have your cake and eat it out of view.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Not at the revved-up pace of the past 20 years.
    The Internet changed everything, including the aspect that it served to speed-up all the other existing media.
    There is much more pressure on coaches today.
    It's absurd, too (as I posted yesterday).

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It has plenty to do with it, in the big picture.

You have to perform when you make the big bucks.

Poor baby.

Don't like it? Go greet at Wal-Mart.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hard to believe a guy who scheduled Illinois, McNeese State and San Diego State can talk about stress. Throw in Miami (OH), Kansas, Iowa State and Colorado to come and I really don't know how he can talk about it.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree. ESPN was not singled out as the prime reason. He was making a point.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It'd be no problem to find six who make $50K all put together.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Pressure is a father making 30K a year trying to keep a roof and food on the table for his family.

Fuck Gary Pinkel

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read somewhere that 95 percent of print journalists will NEVER make $50K in a year.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure ESPN hounds Pinkel and his unranked, afterthought program.

And the Toledo Blade and Channel 11 were hell on earth to work with in Toledo. Dan Cummins, Jeff Blanzy and Jim Tischy were BULLDOGS!

I can't tell you the last time I've seen Gary Pinkel get more than a passing mention on ESPN.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Try telling that to all the dipshit psychotic fans who want him unemployed the moment they get angry at a 3rd-and-1 call.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'm so sick of the "there's more pressure" complaints.
    Don't want the pressure? Don't coach.
    It's so pressurized that Joe Paterno is doing this job at 84-freaking-years-old.
    And all of them make so much money in any given year that if they're smart with their money they could walk away the moment they're fired.
    I write about college sports 340 days a year. I will NEVER quote a coach complaining about "pressure" in this manner. It's just nonsense.

Draft saved Draft deleted