1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pink Floyd Concert Review

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by FantasyAlliance.cm, Aug 15, 2006.

1. This is the concert review I wrote for the Pink Floyd Laser Spectacular.  What do you think?
    -----

“Everyone here is high regardless of whether they took drugs,” one concertgoer noted.  It was true.  At least that’s what it felt like with 3-D laser glasses on.  Lasers and psychedelic visuals came from all angles for an experience not matched at any other production.  There was no band performing as the songs were played directly from recordings.
    The pulse of the audience rose as the anticipation grew until you could hear heartbeats, and just like that, the show started with “Speak to Me/Breath.”  Following in succession was the entire “Dark Side of the Moon” album played to highlights of the “Wizard of Oz.”
    The usual scenes from the “Wizard of Oz,” – tornado spinning through “The Great Gig in the Sky,” Dorothy prancing around on the yellow brick road during “Money,” – were augmented with more relevant clips during other songs such as “Us and Them,” which featured video of tired workers trudging into a factory as their boss relaxed by himself in an office of luxury.  One inexplicable image of Beavis and Butthead covered the screen after “Money” much to the audience’s delight.  Before “Dark Side of the Rainbow” ended, pictures of Pink Floyd were displayed on screen during “Brain Damage.”
    Much of the second half of the presentation consisted of recordings from “The Wall,” though “Wish You Were Here,” also received playing time.  It kicked off with “In the Flesh” as the double hammer representing fascism danced around the screen. 
    The audience joined in chanting, “We don’t need no education,” throughout “Another Brick in the Wall (Pt. 2).” The excitement carried through to “Mother.”  When Pink asked, “Mother, should I trust the government?” he was answered with a resounding “NO!”
    “Comfortably Numb,” “Young Lust,” and “Wish You Were Here,” followed before “Goodbye Cruel World.”  As “Goodbye” neared the end, the volume rose in an explosion of sound and smoke.  “Goodbye?” the announcer screamed, “I think we should do at least one more!”  It ended with “Run Like Hell,” then all the concertgoers had to get “Outside of the Wall” of the pavilion and on with their lives.

2. awriter

awriter Active Member

I wouldn't call it a concert when there's no live band. Also this show has been around for 15, 20 years, so why are you reviewing it now? Did it just open in your town?

3. hackhack

hackhack New Member

“Everyone here is high regardless of whether they took drugs,” one concertgoer noted.

STARTING OUT WITH A QUOTE IS A GIMMICK THAT ALIENATES SOME READERS. THEY HAVE NO IDEA WHO IS TALKING, WHERE THEY ARE OR WHY THIS MATTERS. IF THIS IS A REVIEW, IT'S YOUR OPINION SO WHY NOT SAY SOMETHING LIKE "EVERYONE WAS HIGH, EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T TAKE DRUGS. THAT'S WHAT IT FELT LIKE AT THE PINK FLOYD CONCERT [THIS NIGHT AT THIS PLACE]

It was true. At least that’s what it felt like with 3-D laser glasses on. Lasers and psychedelic visuals came from all angles for an experience not matched at any other production. There was no band performing as the songs were played directly from recordings.

The pulse of the audience rose as the anticipation grew until you could hear heartbeats, and just like that, the show started with “Speak to Me/Breath.” Following in succession was the entire “Dark Side of the Moon” album played to highlights of the “Wizard of Oz.”

The usual scenes from the “Wizard of Oz,” – tornado spinning through “The Great Gig in the Sky,” Dorothy prancing around on the yellow brick road during “Money,”

I NEVER HEARD THAT ON THE SOUNDTRACK OF WIZARD OF OZ! SUGGEST A PARALLEL WRITING STRUCTURE OF NAMING THE SCENES FROM MOVIE FIRST AND THEN THE SONG TITLES THEY MATCHED

– were augmented with more relevant clips during other songs such as “Us and Them,” which featured video of tired workers trudging into a factory as their boss relaxed by himself in an office of luxury.

One inexplicable image of Beavis and Butthead covered the screen after “Money” much to the audience’s delight. Before “Dark Side of the Rainbow” ended, pictures of Pink Floyd were displayed on screen during “Brain Damage.”
    Much of the second half of the presentation consisted of recordings from “The Wall,” though “Wish You Were Here,” also received playing time. It kicked off with “In the Flesh” as the double hammer representing fascism danced around the screen.
    The audience joined in chanting, “We don’t need no education,” throughout “Another Brick in the Wall (Pt. 2).” The excitement carried through to “Mother.” When Pink asked, “Mother, should I trust the government?” he was answered with a resounding “NO!”
    “Comfortably Numb,” “Young Lust,” and “Wish You Were Here,” followed before “Goodbye Cruel World.” As “Goodbye” neared the end, the volume rose in an explosion of sound and smoke. “Goodbye?” the announcer screamed, “I think we should do at least one more!” It ended with “Run Like Hell,” then all the concertgoers had to get “Outside of the Wall” of the pavilion and on with their lives.

THIS READS LIKE A RECITATION OF WHAT HAPPENED MORE THAN A REVIEW> YOUR LEDE SUGGESTS THAT IT WAS EXHILIRATING BUT YOU NEED TO WEAVE THAT POINT OF VIEW THROUGHOUT THE PIECE.

Draft saved Draft deleted