1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Piniella Skips Media Session--is this really a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Chicago Trib headline:

Piniella talks about why he didn't talk
    Manager unapologetic about missing session to meet with team

April 24, 2007, 11:08 PM CDT

Manager Lou Piniella was unapologetic for blowing off reporters Monday night, the first time anyone could remember a Cubs manager doing so after a game.

"I missed you all like a toothache," Piniella said, laughing.

Piniella said he hadn't addressed the media because he spoke to the team afterward. So why couldn't he speak to reporters after he spoke to his players?

"It was late, and you know what? I was tired," he said. "It was another tough loss."

Piniella recited the litany of tough Cubs losses. He also said he had blown off postgame interview sessions in previous stops.

"In Seattle, once in a while," he said. "Yeah. Why not?"

Managers are not forced to speak with reporters, but Major League Baseball encourages them to do so.

A Cubs official said the team would speak to Piniella and ask him not to make a habit of it.

Relevant to Cubs coverage, or a major 'we are not the story'?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070424cubsbits,1,5330560.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's probably a note. His quotes are kinda funny at least.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

no big deal. using it as a lead note seems fine. and then it's done

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I think coaches/managers should always talk to the media after a game. They are the deciders [/georgewbush] and figureheads after all.

If they don't, I don't get offended. I simply write "head coach Bob Smith refused to comment." And, for road games done over the phone "head coach Bob Smith couldn't be reached despite X amount of phone calls."

At the lower to mid levels of sports, most coaches immediately apologize or talk the next time. I'm not so sure MLB managers give a shit.

5. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Member

Readers/viewers/listeners expect to hear from Piniella. Speaking to them, through us, is part of any MLB manager's responsibility. If he does not show up, the public should know about it.

Also, in this case, it's worthy of a note/story because it demonstrates Piniella's level of frustration.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

A note, nothing worth making a federal case over.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a story if it becomes a habit.

Blowing off the media will probably endear him to the fans, though.

8. It was noteworthy because it was after a game in which the Cubs bullpen once again pissed one away which led to a gut-wrenching loss and one of Lou's coaches was bawling/cussing out an umpire (which could be heard by and was reported by the media) inside the stadium after the game.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Anything that shows a coach's state of mind or a deviation from the norm, especially before a big game or after a tough loss, is usually noteworthy.

10. boots

boots New Member

Lou is a good guy. He'll probably be the next Yankees manager. Lou walks it like he talks it. He's old school. So he blew the media off after a loss. It's a note. There are 162 games. If he misses one, that's pretty damn good and other managers have and will do it this year. Nothing new here.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Definitely worth a notebook lead or maybe even a short separate, partly because it's Piniella. Face it, we're all waiting for him to unleash a nuclear, Lee Elia-type postgame rant, so when he avoids reporters after a tough loss you have to wonder if it's because he's close to blowing his stack. It's worth getting his explanation in the paper.

12. boots

boots New Member

You don't want to see Lou angry. I was there when he kicked the shit out of Rob Dibble. You don't want to see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted