1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pineiro to Red Sox?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by casty33, Jan 3, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

According to Jerry Crasnick on ESPN.com, the Red Sox are about to sign Joel Pineiro to a one-year contract. Good move? I think it might be. He went 8-13 for a bad Seattle team last season but there was a time I thought he was quite the prospect. It can't hurt to make him No. 4 or 5 in the Red Sox rotation.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Depends on how much the one-year deal is for, but if it's not too expensive, I like it. He certainly has shown the stuff to be a solid player, and mixing into the middle of that rotation should take a little off his shoulders. I remember him being the next big thing when he got the call.

3. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I love the idea of Pineiro as a swing starter/long man. Would this allow them to make Wakefield into a bullpen savior, e.g. swingman? Or would Pineiro get that role instead? It would seem to make sense to have Wakefield as basically a utility pitcher.

4. Hey speaking of Crasnick - has anyone heard what made him report that supposed trade of Jake Peavy to the Braves a while back?

5. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

No, it can't. But when they have 6 or 7 starters already, it will. They have a full rotation, a full bullpen, no closer and yet they add a starter/long reliever.

Maybe he'll close? Can he close? Is this even worth it?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just don't follow him closely enough, so this may be a dumb question. But Piniero's first two years, I remember watching some games in which he as absolutely filthy. Threw hard and had an unreal breaking ball that made batters' knees buckles. He was unhittable for a young pitcher. Over the period that he got suckier and suckier I heard vague things about arm problems, but nothing anything tangible. But as I said, I haven't paid close attention. So can someone tell me, what exactly happened with him?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

After the Meche signing I was wondering here why Meche was worth $55 million, but Piniero was released. Going into the off-season, if you had offered me a choice, I don't know which I would have taken.

8. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Yeah, boy, good thing the Sox didn't have 6-7 solid starting pitchers last season, huh?

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not sure what someone's record has to do with anything (i.e. compare Nate Robertson and Kenny Rogers in '06; not to mention Piniero had a better record than teammates Jarrod Washburn and Jamie Moyer - compare those stats).

Joel Piniero allowed 209 hits in 165.7 IP and had an ERA of 6.36. That's bad no matter who you play for.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It could be an OK signing if it is for the minimum or is performance based, but you better not be giving Joel Piniero guaranteed money. I'd rather take a chance on Mark Mulder.

11. Hoo

Hoo Active Member

Sounds good to me:

By Howard Ulman, AP Sports Writer | January 3, 2007

BOSTON --Joel Pineiro reached a preliminary agreement on a $4 million, one-year deal with the Boston Red Sox, who are turning to the former Seattle starter as a contender for their vacant closer's job.
    Article Tools

The contract includes $2 million in performance bonuses based on games finished, according to a person familiar with the negotiations, who spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the agreement has not been announced.

Pineiro's deal also contains a player option for 2008. He must pass a physical for the contract to be finalized.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Me too. 4 + 2 in incentives is a good deal for all concerned.

Draft saved Draft deleted