1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pilots gone wild

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Apr 8, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

Check this out.
    CNN) -- Northwest Airlines canceled a flight with 180 passengers aboard after the pilot began cursing at passengers while the plane was being prepared for takeoff in Las Vegas on Friday, airline officials and witnesses said.

The cancellation disrupted Easter travel plans for many of the passengers.

From the moment the captain stepped aboard Flight 1190 to Detroit, passengers reported hearing him use "animated" language while talking on his cell phone, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor told CNN.

"He was having a fit, swearing up a storm," a passenger on the flight said. "He was saying 'F this' and 'F that.'"

When confronted about it by passengers, the pilot became "obscene" and began cursing at the customers, she said. "He made a big disturbance."

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police and the local FAA flight standards office were notified, Gregor said. Police arrived on the scene, pulled the pilot aside and interviewed him.

He was not administered a field sobriety test. CNN was unable to immediately contact the police officers involved.

The FAA officials called Northwest Airlines headquarters. The airline decided to remove the pilot from the aircraft and fly him to Detroit for further questioning.

Northwest Airlines then canceled the flight, apologized for the delay and offered hotel accommodations and penalty-free re-booking on the next available flight out of Las Vegas, a spokesman for the airline said.

The airline said "a review of the matter" was being conducted and the decision to cancel the flight was made "due to reports of inappropriate language by a crew member."

Mike Fergus, an FAA spokesman, said the FAA's flight standards investigation unit was looking into the incident. According to Fergus, the FAA has the authority to send a "letter of admonition" to the pilot or, in the most extreme cases, revoke a pilot's FAA certificate, which would ground the pilot.

"I had to call and cancel two family dinners and we're stuck here an extra night," a passenger said. "We've been at the airport for six hours waiting -- it's chaos. It's Easter weekend...we want to be home."

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Damn. I was hoping this would be about the Seattle Pilots.

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Just a thought to complaining passengers... Next time, if you want to get home on time, mind your own damn business.

4. Yes, they want to be in the air and piloted by someone unstable.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Yeah, I can't say I want to be in the air with a pilot on a tirade. What's the equvilant of road rage in the air?

6. boots

boots New Member

A crash landing

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Maybe I haven't been on enough flights, but all the ones I've flown on - I had little if ZERO interaction with the pilot. Since when do passengers confront pilots?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Shanksville?

Draft saved Draft deleted