1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pick Your Victim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting Mo Dowd Column - Duel of The Historic Guilts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/opinion/05dowd.html

2. Shit. For Brains.
    Jesus, Boom, read the Daily News, will you?

3. Boom_70

Mike Lupica writing political columns - pass.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not sure I'm very excited about Mo's query of which will be expunged first: our sexist past or our racial past. Is that what this is really all about? Or is it SUPPOSED to be about what's best for America? Y'know, the whole idea of the best person for the job.

5. Boom_70

I don't think it's Mo - the campaigns are driving us there. Maybe its a vote for a Obama / Hill ticket. We can get rid of both demons at once.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Perhaps for some, the campaigns are a way to get rid of that demon, and I certainly have no problem with that. But for many of the people with whom I've spoken, their support for one candidate or another (mainly Obama) is not because of the historical precedent but because they feel an excitement, an energy.

I know there's no way to rid either candidate of a bit of that aura that surrounds the historical precedent they're setting. But I really wish I could. Let the candidates stand on their own, not on precedent.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

"People will have to choose which of America’s sins are greater, and which stain will have to be removed first. Is misogyny worse than racism, or is racism worse than misogyny?"

Or maybe they'll vote for a reason other than skin color or gender. Perish the fucking thought.

Draft saved Draft deleted