1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pica poles?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, May 19, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have a pica ruler and a photo wheel and I still use them. We have to draw out our pages and have paginators do them using Quark.
    Really limits my oportunities for career advancement.

2. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Many of our designers use pica poles to measure graphics printed out for them. They then leave the designated space on their layout, then later flow in the graphics after they have been proofed. Photos are also printed out for designers, but because they rarely print at 100 percent it's better to measure them in the system.
    We use a CCI system.

3. ARD

ARD Member

Still keep my 12- and 18-inch pica poles in the desk, but I've finally gotten to leave the proportion wheel behind. Still keep a bunch of Olfa knives everywhere, though. :)

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great point! Anyone else still have pasteup knives laying around?

Mine makes a wonderful cuticle cutter... sure sucks when the blade slips, though!

5. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Gotta admit. I got a pretty good chuckle out of this one.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Very few of the paste-up people at my shop actually used a regular paste-up knife back in the early 90s when we still did that. Most used one of <a HREF=http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/dc2e8e1a-b6e7-467d-ad76-6a6e23d6c0f4_300.jpg>
    These </a>

7. EStreetJoe

Somehow I missed reading this last night... good one. :)

8. EStreetJoe

I forgot to mention that as a cost-cutting method we've outsourced our pagination to our sister paper. So while we do the layout and editing of locally produced copy, they do the wire copy editing and paginate. However we still have to select what photos we want and size them. The pagination system they use (and the one we used before the merger) didn't allow access to any photos unless the photo department sent them into the pagination system. You can still resize in the pagination system, but its easier if it comes in close to the correct size.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

At a few shops we used to have pica pole "thwacking" wars: try to snap-slap the pica pole against someone's arm or leg so that the combination of metal and flesh goes "THWACK!" Good times.

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

My intro to graphic communications professor was a flag-waving nutjob named Don Hill.

We'd have to lay out slogans like, "In a world of multicolored plastic junk, there's still room for excellent graphic communications in America." Or the American's Creed, by William Tyler Page.

We also learned bell codes, stat camera stuff, all the old-skool stuff, but deep in the recesses of one room in the lab, there were these machines...they were called..."Mac II's." And we learned stuff like MacDraw and MS Word. Our shit was soooo, so fly.

Our textbook was a notebook that he wrote (and laid out) himself. On one particular page, he took line art of a pica ruler and placed line art of two scale of reproduction wheels side-by-side immediately under it.

I pretty much wept openly with laughter when I turned to that page in the book in class.

Draft saved Draft deleted