1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pica poles?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Colton, May 19, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

Anyone else still have theirs kicking around? Mine remains in my middle desk drawer.

Makes a wonderful back scratcher. :)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I have a couple. Both I use as back scratchers, or rulers when I'm crafting :D

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

What is this "crafting" of which you refer? LOL

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm a girl, dammit, sometimes I do girlie things!

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

I used to love to take someone else's pica pole, rub a pencil up and down both sides for about 10 minutes, then lay in wait until they grabbed it, leaving their hands covered in No. 2 lead.

I know, I'm as mature as your averaged sixth grader, but... :)

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn. awesome. office. weapons.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've heard of a pica ruler, but never a pica pole.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I have a pica pole in my desk drawer. I use it to measure legal publications when I prepare the affidavit.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've heard both. I think the proper term is line gauge. And, yes, I still have a couple. I also have my dad's metal advertising ruler, which has picas on one side but looks different than those I've seen in newsrooms -- longer, much wider, and it's old, with one of those MU7-5555 phone numbers on it. That one's on a shelf with some other family stuff, sort of a shrine. I also have a plastic line gauge, and I forget where I bought that.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Still in the desk drawer, still the ultimate back-scratcher.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

At my old paper, we never dealt with photos ourselves -- we got the printouts, and the photo tech toned everything.

Here, I almost never use it, since we get Photoshop privileges.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Still have a pica pole (actually, two. The first one I got when I started in the business, another one when I got here). And, I've got the measuring wheel for when I had to size AP photos back in the old cut-and-paste days.

Draft saved Draft deleted