1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PHX-Golden State

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not "playing the right way." :eek: :eek: :eek:

[​IMG]

BTW, from 1965-75, the average pro basketball team (NBA and ABA) scored about 115 points a game.

2. NUPE 1911

NUPE 1911 New Member

I enjoy a good defensive game. I enjoy a good offensive game. There is nothing wrong with either. Defense is 50% of the game of basketaball. Suggesting that good defense somehow ruins basketball is laughable.

3. Starman

When NBA teams score 60-80 points in a game, it's not because of good defense. It's because of sludgeball milk-the-clock offense.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The "clock" is only 24 seconds.

And 7-10 of that is getting downcourt and getting the offense into position.

That leaves only 14-17 seconds can you actually "milk".

And some of that "milking" is actually trying to get a good shot instead of settling for the first 24-footer that comes available.

I see college basketball teams trying shots at the 30-second buzzer all the time . . . and they are never accused of playing sludgeball.

5. NUPE 1911

NUPE 1911 New Member

There are multiple ways to play the game. Teams need to play to their strengths. There is nothing wrong with slowing the game down whatsoever. Every team can't play like Phoenix. Furthermore, it has been proven year after year after year that you can not win a championship with Phoenix's playstyle. So all this anti-defense talk is generally laughable.

6. Starman

That's because the same milk-the-clock sludgeball philosophy has worked its way down through college, too. Nobody accuses them of "playing sludgeball" because sludgeball is now normal.

FG attempts per game in the NBA are down 25% from the 1970s/80s. FG percentage is down, too. They're milking the clock, but not getting better shots. It's not that they won't take the first open 24-footer that comes available; they won't take the first open 11-footer.

Dunk or 3-pointer, that's it. Otherwise, milk the clock.

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Right. Because there's no way the Suns will ever win a title.

Just because they haven't won one yet doesn't mean that style of ball makes winning a championship impossible.

8. NUPE 1911

NUPE 1911 New Member

The Sun's can not and will not get through the West playing the way they do with their limited rotation and lack of defense. That is just that. Last year they barely squeaked by the lowly Lakers. LoL!

The bottomline is every team that has won a ship that I can recall since the 90's has had a strong defensive squad.

9. NUPE 1911

NUPE 1911 New Member

College has never been about high scoring games. Not that I can recall. Get outta here.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

uh-oh.

This will not end well for newbie.

11. Starman

DEFENSE WINS GAMES!!!

I know because every analyst on every game on TV says so!!!

::)

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No. Defense wins championships.

In just about any sport.

Or did I imagine the Colts suddenly becoming a Super Bowl team when their run-stopper returned to the lineup and they somehow fixed whatever had been plaguing their run defense?

At some point you simply have to stop the other team.

Whether it's with a runner on third, a third-and-1 or when holding a one-point lead with 12 seconds left.

If the Suns win a title, their clinching victory likely will be closer to 102-95 than 122-115.

Draft saved Draft deleted