1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photoshop question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jun 20, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Adobe Creative Suite.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The full Creative Suite is the way to go, but make sure her computer can handle it.
    One of the downsides of the CS package is that it communicates with the Adobe mothership, and the various applications are always communicating with each other. The result: It can really slow your sh*t down.
    It also makes some people paranoid in a SkyNet kind of way.

We use it, and it is great.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Incredibly, I am still dealing with this.

Decided last summer she could live without high-end software to edit art school penises...but now she's headed to college--which I am paying for--and I am drowning in techno-hell.

The school will sell me the Mac of her dreams, and put all the software on it. They don't know half of what you people told me here.

The prices are good, though, so I have some room to upgrade. I don't want that despondent phone call in September telling me I screwed up (for which there is great potential).

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Additional photoshop question:

I'd like to create a batch command that will take an entire folder of photos and convert them to format for our web galleries (5 inches on the longest side, 72 DPI). I can't seem to work out a command that does the resolution change.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rick, There is a great script (extension) available for free that can do this put out by a guy named Russell Brown. It's called "Dr. Brown's 1-2-3 Process." You can work with the extension from Bridge or from Photoshop and batch process a folder full of photos. It is fully customizable, and based on your inputs, you can resize them, change the resolution and save them to whatever format you want. It does it all automatically.

He had versions of the script for CS2 and CS3, so if you are using those google it and find them. You can downlow the CS4 version here: http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html.

If you want to check it out before adding it, here is a video that shows how the CS3 script worked. His shtick is annoying, but the script is so handy:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-use-dr-brown-s-1-2-3-process-script-for-photoshop-cs3-260386/.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I was about to ask if you're getting the college discount.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I am told I can get the CS4 Standard Whatever for $195. Seems impossibly cheap, no?

8. The Big Ragu

Yes, it does. :) But don't argue. Just make sure you know what you are getting. There is Design Standard and Web Standard. The Web version won't give you InDesign or Photoshop (it has Fireworks). Design Standard doesn't give the web design software, like Fireworks, Dreamweaver and Flash.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is the Design Standard, pretty sure this is all she needs. I am just following directions and writing checks.

Got a MacBook Pro 13" with a color printer, iTouch, and some other junk. Oh, and a lock. With the school discount and all the rebates, $1900. Add on the CS4 for $195, sounds like a pretty good deal.

10. The Big Ragu

Hmmmm. May I call you Aunty 21?

Draft saved Draft deleted