1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photoshop question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Jun 20, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

I like The Gimp.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You guys are amazing, I really appreciate this.

I sent her an email last night asking what she's working on, how she wants to use photoshop. Here's her answer, please keep in mind that she is 17, going to a summer art program at a world-famous museum:

'Spent all week drawing naked people, one guy was hot. I have seen penis's before but not ones that just lay there for so long. LOL!'

Can photoshop get penises to not just lay there, I don't know.

Seriously, she's very dedicated, getting scholarship offers from the top art schools around the country, her parents aren't particularly supportive ('what can you DO with that except [roll eyes] teach??'). Her work is mostly drawing in chalk and ink, no graphic design or layout stuff, she wants to get creative with images and color and...you know what, I have no idea. I need to get more info.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

21, It sounds like Illustrator is more suited to what she is talking about than Photoshop. I work with several cartoonists, one who does a cartoon page in one of my publications. He draws pieces of the cartoon by hand, does hi-res scans and then puts the finishing touches on them in Illustrator. Illustrator also gives someone with talent the ability to start from scratch and create all kinds of wild vectors. If she ever wants any of the stuff printed, or blown up onto a foam board or large-sized format, if she uses the program correctly, everything is scalable. That means that she can blow it up without it looking grainy or pixelated. I think it's great that you want to encourage her and buy these programs, but if I was me, I'd make her do a little research on her own, so she can understand the functionality and get an idea of the difference between bitmapped images and vectors. Then she will be able to tell you what she needs, which is more rewarding. One other thing -- she may be able to get a student discount, which can bring prices down. I have never bought a copy of Illustrator of Photoshop as a standalone, and I buy all upgrades now when I get new products, which are cheaper. But I believe that Illustrator or Photoshop as a standalone product can be $500 or $600. It might almost be worth buying the standard (is that the basic?) edition of CS3. It will be more, but it should be a lot cheaper than buying each of the software programs separately. And since she is so young, she might get interested in graphic design as a whole, because the programs are so complimentary.

If you can find a version of CS2 a lot cheaper, go for it. It's what I would do. It gives plenty of functionality and you can do a ton with the programs. The changes in the program are different if you make your living with them, but CS2 is a very powerful suite and does about everything anyone could ask of it.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What program is best at making animated GIFs? Can you do it in Photoshop?

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Illustrator. I don't know about Photoshop, but I've never tried. I have, however, made them pretty easily in Illustrator.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

When I make animated GIFs, I use Adobe ImageMaker. It comes packaged with Photoshop most of the time.

As for your niece...I haven't used Illustrator much but I love Photoshop. I would definitely recommend going through something education-wise. I was able to get CS2 (even though CS3, while being the same program with the same functions, has a different set-up that I find easier to use. It has collapsible toolbars, as opposed to having all of the toolbars willy-nilly around the desktop, you can combine them all into one and make it so they aren't all visible, but they're still readily accessible) for my laptop for a fraction of what it would cost to buy it for a non-student from my student union.

So yes, several places online do offer discounts. I wouldn't recommend getting the full suite for her yet unless you think she'll actually use the design software and stuff (which I do, mostly for my resume). One thing I would definitely find out is what kind of computer she's planning on loading the software on and how much RAM it has. My laptop only has 512MB of RAM (I'm working on upgrading this because it's driving me bonkers.) but it barely is enough to run the programs smoothly. 1GB would definitely be ideal for running these programs because they do use up so much memory on the computer.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm going to correct myself here. The current developers of The Gimp have done a standout job with a complete overhaul of The GIMP's interface for version 2.6, released last fall. Unlike the original dev team, which saw it more as a programming experiment, the new team seems to be very interested in making an open-source Photoshop competitor. The guy that ported The Gimp to Windows also came up with a way to use Photoshop plug-ins in The Gimp. Also, last week Smashing magazine posted a list of Gimp tweaks to make the program more useful.

There are still some things it can't do (notably, actually working inside a CMYK colorspace rather than just making separations) but overall The Gimp's a lot better than it used to be.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A year later you're going to correct yourself after Aunt21 has maybe spent a bundle?

I didn't do shit with PhotoShop until I left the paper, learned my way around it some at VCU and love it. CS3. Also had InDesign, same version. I'm about to find out how much they cost.

So Aunt 21, what did you do?

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

[​IMG]

Well, I still like The Gimp. (But The Gimp is sleeping)

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I saw some other people mentioned it, but at my uni bookstore, you can buy the entire CS for a tenth of the price of retail.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Which is what and can you get me a copy?

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong: I'd still recommend paying the bundle for the stated need and for the following reasons ...<blockquote>GIMP features support for 8-bit per-channel images, compared to Photoshop's support for 8, 16, and 32-bit per-channel images. Its Intelligent Scissors are similar to Photoshop's Magnetic Lasso tool, and some basic tools and filters have identical functionality in both.

GIMP and Photoshop differ in their color management features in ways that matter to some users. Photoshop has support for 16-bit, 32-bit, and floating point images, support for the Pantone color matching system, or spot color and support for color models other than RGB(A) and greyscale, such as CMYK and CIE XYZ. GIMP, like other open source applications, does not support Pantone numbers for spot colors; it has rudimentary CMYK support via a plugin. Photoshop features extensive gamma correction support.

In addition, Photoshop contains several productivity features and tools not supported by GIMP, such as native support for Adjustment layers, which are layers that act like filters, layer styles and text blending options like drop shadow and glow, undo history "snapshots" that persist between sessions, the history brush tool, folders in the layer window. GIMP also requires basic programming knowledge to build an automation upon it ... while Photoshop can record the user's actions and repeat them with a "Play" button.</blockquote>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP#Comparison_and_compatibility_with_Adobe_Photoshop

But for somebody who maybe just wants to fix photos (even quick and dirty for sending back to the office), it's a decent alternative to Photoshop Elements. Don't know if I'd even have gone that far before.

Draft saved Draft deleted