1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photogs vs. writers, sideline vs. press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 23, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

It was pretty nasty out, hope you had a good press box where you could wave to him as you sipped your Dunks.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In fact, sp, invite him in here so we can have our digs at him...

3. KP

KP Active Member

No, we don't need him coming in here and run away squealing like a pig and getting sp in trouble with the ME.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The ME probably had something to do with the hiring of this assclown. He can take it too.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What a jackass. I've had photogs make fun of me for heading inside while they have to shoot in bad weather, but never had one seriously tell me I should be out there because he is.

Some opinions are just too stupid to bother caring about.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

As my boy Del B. Vista said after a weather event of sorts -- aka Hurricane Katrina -- break you off a 35-foot storm surge of STFU.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do as he says next friday, then on saturday, show up at his house uninvited, pour yourself a glass of his best liquor, go to the freezer, pull out a steak, cook it, eat it, then go bang his wife and take a shit in his toilet before excusing yourself.

he uses all those items, you may as well, too.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Memo to photogs....

A rank amateur with no "ability" to shoot can get an incredible photo.

A rank amateur with no ability to write cannot type an incredible story.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Sometime, you really need to look at a good sports photog's complete, frame-by-frame output over the course of a game. You might be educated.

10. Stupid

Stupid Member

That's true, shot, but you only need one for the paper.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, that is just incredibly disrespectful. Yes, any idiot with a camera can get one shot. But can the idiot get it on demand? Can the idiot do it day after day? Can they produce a lot more photos in a day than we produce stories?

Yes, some photogs are jackasses. So are some reporters. But to indicate that their jobs don't require skill is a load of crap.

12. SnoopCoog

SnoopCoog Member

I covered preps for several years and never found a reason to cover a game from the sidelines. This before internet and I was lucky to find a phone in the press box to transmit the story, but you need the work space to keep stats. And besides, you can't see the yardlines very well or plays that aren't directly in front of you. There is NO REASON for a reporter to be on the sidelines during a football game, unless you're a fool and want to tell you friends you were on the field (along with 17-year-old players). Big whoop.

Draft saved Draft deleted