1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photogs vs. writers, sideline vs. press box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

As I head out to the Thanksgiving Day football game that I have to cover, and expecting to be stuck in the middle of a steady downpour for most of it, I'm thinking about an ongoing debate I have with our photo editor, who, as it happens, is shooting the game I'm covering this morning.
    He tends to resent it when writers are in the press box when it rains. Because he is on the sideline in the rain, we should be, too.
    Over the past few years, when the weather has been agreeable, I've been on the sidelines, but I've gone into the press box when it rains. Seems that paper tends to get wet and useless in the rain.
    But out of consideration for our colleagues in the photo department, that shouldn't matter. We should be out there with them, never mind that we won't have any useable notes after the game.
    Should we have to do something we really don't have to do simply because someone else has to do it?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

No. You go to where you can best do your own job. If that happens to be the sidelines, so be it. Don't go there just because the photo editor says so.

Look at it this way -- he would resent the hell out of you telling him where he should be standing and how he should be taking his pictures.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

How old is the photo editor?

12?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. Beat him up, take his lunch money and tell him to do his job and you'll do yours...

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tell him you resent it that you'll still be working hours after the game when he just has to transmit his photos...

What a jackass...

A good photgrapher, who understands what we do is gold, but sadly, there aren't many of them in this business...

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

I was going to say the exact same thing. If he wants to be able to work in the press box, tell him to go back to journalism school.

And now that the industry is digital, for the most part, photog's jobs are that much easier. No souping film, no light tables. It's download, crop, send in, then go to the bar to wait for the writer.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

Ask the photog why it's called a PRESS BOX?
    Also, I like to be in the middle and higher than field level so I can see the entire field.
    I know some writers like to be on the sidelines, I like the angle from the pb.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Which is why photographers, more than writers, should be worried about their place in print journalism. Digital cameras and programs like Photoshop are getting more inexpensive and user-friendly every day.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

how are you supposed to play computer solitaire, check e-mail and post on SportsJournalists.com from the sidelines in the rain? the photog obviously doesn't have a clue.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Memo to photogs:

Just spell the damn names in the captions correctly, and don't use nicknames (CWebb, Zo, Fins) that make it useless when I try to do a search for your photos.

11. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

I was at a 10K recently, and when I started there was a photog. Within three months the photog was kinda phased out and I was handed a camera and told to shoot my own stuff. Word from the publisher is that shop was one of the last in the chain to have an actual photographer. That seems to be the only job being eliminated faster than editorial. I wouldn't be so uppity if I was a photog.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

What a jerkoff. Tell him to kiss your ass. Loudly. Or at least, while you're up there in the press box, look at him and give him a big ol' smile.

Draft saved Draft deleted