1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photogs refuse to sign consent form at prep event; papers don't shoot event

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Feb 27, 2007.

1. I'm curious: How much are you charging per photo? Is it a simple download, or can readers request prints? Do you get bogged down with filling reprint orders? I've always regarded print orders as good PR for a newspaper, not an effective way to make money.

I've seen some websites -- the Newhouse sites for example -- that have unused high school photos in a website gallery. It's a nice thing, kind of public service that also generates website traffic, and I don't think they charge anything to grab them.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

My shop charges nothing for extras. I've had several occasions where I've sat with parents who have brought in a flash drive. Not sure I like that, but it's not my call.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is off-topic, but if this is a high school event why is it the "Ladies" tournament and not the "Girls" tournament like in the other 49 states in this country?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The LHSAA stopped calling it the Sweet 16 this year because the Kentucky high school association owns the rights to that name, has graciously allowed the NCAA to use it for the last nine years but apparently no longer tolerated the same from Louisiana.

Why it's the "Ladies" tournament, I don't know.

The boys play in the Top 28 tournament. I've never heard it called the "Men's" Top 28. Maybe that will change now. Dunno.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If it's the Final Four, the Elite Eight and the Sweet Sixteen, how about the "Thirsty Thirty-two?"

My copyright lawyers are on the case ... and I'm gonna be rich.

6. jps

jps Active Member

At the risk of piling on, I agree that papers aren't going to send a photog out to shoot every kid out there. Might some? I suppose ... but I don't see it happening in most places.
    And in regards to high school sports, that truly depends on where you're writing. Our preps coverage is extensive, and the readers want more. Crosstown games in our area will pack stadiums and gyms, and half of the crowd simply lives in town and wants to support 'the boys/girls.' Saying high school sports are irrelevant and unimportant to the audience in general just doesn't fly around here and, I'd expect, around lots of other places.

7. Taylee

Taylee Member

8. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Add the Kentucky High School Athletic Association to the list of folks trying to hold newspaper photogs hostage.

We've been told not to sign any waiver when covering the upcoming state HS hoops championships.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I keep waiting for Michigan to do that; it's had an "official" photographer for years.
    I do love it when you ask parents for a picture of a kid that you need now, and they point you to one of the "official" websites where you "can find the photo and just run it".... not

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I'm not sure the KHSAA has really enforced that. We've publsihed photos from several state events online. We had a team win a state football title this year, and we actually made a DVD with photos from the season -- including the state finals -- and PDFs of game stories and a commentary track with the head coach.

The cost of DVD basically covered our costs, with ver ylittle profit for us. As far as I know, no probs with the KHSAA. BUt the DVD was very popular.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Well, just as I write this, I got an email from a friend who says their Swet 16 forms forbid seeling photos. They tried it last year, not sure how it went.

I guess they don't care about other sports. I know they hire photogs for the state tourney. We'll see how this goes.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

How many states are trying to pull this now? anyone know off the top of their head?

Draft saved Draft deleted