1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photographer in Lake Charles, La.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianGriffin, May 9, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I know this is more of a writer/desk site, but I'll post this because I know there are a lot of opportunities to shoot college/prep with pretty close to top of the line Canon equipment:

News Photographer
    The American Press seeks a dependable, hard-working, people-friendly photojournalist for a full-time staff position. The ideal candidate thrives on visual creativity, whether it’s for the long-range project or the daily deadline.

Cover general news, sports and feature assignments working. Night and weekend work is involved. We offer a competitive salary and benefits. The American Press is a 40,000-circulation family-owned newspaper halfway between Houston and New Orleans with intensely local news and sports coverage.

Submit your resume and three sample images by e-mail to Brad Puckett, bpuckett@americanpress.com.

http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2089

If you know any good, young photogs, please let them know. The backstory is there was a staff of four that dwindled to one fairly quickly for various reasons. ... What it adds up to is a lot of opportunities to shoot things in news and sports. We cover McNeese State (photogs travel, even fly, to all football games) and preps thoroughly and there are usually chances to shoot LSU (both BCS games, last year's Virginia Tech game).

PM me with any questions.

2. nybluepepper

nybluepepper New Member

What it sounds like it adds up to is the chance to do the work of four people and get paid for the work of one. ::) ::)

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You're not totally off-base. I don't know how soon and if we try to get to four photographers. I actually doubt if we get to four, but I think we'll end up with three with some reporters being asked to bring their own cameras to cover certain stories in this new multi-media world we are in...yeah, I know.

I'm just emphasizing the upside...the lack of competition means the opportunity to put together good clips. And I can vouch for the fact that they have been reasonable with the, ahem, photographer while he has been the lone wolf in terms of making sure he gets his days off, gets paid for his overtime, etc.

For those who may know somebody who might be interested, there have been a couple of good applicants, but it's still early. The ad just hit a couple of job boards on Monday.

Draft saved Draft deleted