1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo retrospective of the NYC Subway system

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Oct 22, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No dice on LaGuardia by subway. At least not easily -- you need a bus to the subway. But since the airtran 7 or 8 years ago, JFK by subway is another great deal. Either the A train (heading through Brooklyn) or E train (heading through Queens to Flushing) will get you to the Airtran. The subway fair and the airtran combined are $7.50 each way, I believe. Compare that to a cab from JFK to Manhattan, which is a flat $45 plus tolls.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Ragu, I have flown into and out of NY a good 20 times or so, but I've always flown into LaGuardia. Never, not once, have I flown into JFK. As a native New Yorker, can you explain to me why you think that it happened that way?

Is JFK more the international airport and LGA more the domestic? I assume JFK is much bigger but I also figure it has to be handling a lot of domestic, too.

Also, what would a cab from LGA to midtown cost roughly. I think it was about $30 last time I did that in 2007. Maybe a little more.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Excellent photo package. I've been to the city once, for my honeymoon.
    Gotta get back there soon.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

My subway story of the day: Saw a guy get stabbed. Crazy. At the first/last stop, two guys have gotten off on the train that just arrived, I'm on the one waiting to leave. One guy is just screaming obscenities at the other. Other guy ignores him, starts walking up the steps. Crazy dude comes and deliver three quick punches to the guy's gut. I think it's just punches but the teens on the train with me say they see a knife. But the victim just walks back up the steps like he's fine while the crazy guy walks the other way. I get to work and relate the story to a co-worker who lives near me. A few minutes later she said her boyfriend saw someone outside the station, no shirt, bleeding, as paramedics tended to him. Check Twitter and there's news of a stabbing that has closed a subway station. I called the precinct to give whatever info I could but it unfortunately wasn't much. Feel bad that I don't remember more what the suspect looked like. You always think you'll be ready for a moment like that, but I can only give a few details of him. But it just looked like the typical subway angry person right up until he went up to the guy, and then even then the man just walked away. Or maybe I should have followed him if I knew he really did have a knife. Supposed to go look at pictures with the police tomorrow, as apparently they didn't catch the guy.

Tony, every time I fly out of NYC to Minnesota it's almost always JFK, just because they have so many more flights. And it's much, much larger. Gargantuan compared to La Guardia. But last few times it's been La Guardia and I've liked it. Closer to city, easier to get around. From JFK it's 45 dollars flat fare - plus tolls - to anywhere in the city. Great deal if you're a long ways from JFK, not as good if you don't have as far to travel. I've never actually flown into La Guardia, only out, so I'm not sure if it's the same flat fare for a taxi from there to go into the city. If it's meter, 30 sounds about right for midtown, maybe even a little less. Ragu would know better.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. That's pretty much the reason.

Short runways at LGA can't handle bigger planes & JFK has always been an international gateway.

Jetblue chose JFK as a hub because their were quite times at JFK based on the times that international flights left & arrived.

As for the bus from LGA, if you really want a cheap ride, there is a bus that goes across 125th St. You can use it to connect to the 4, 5, 6 if you're going to the east side, to Metro North if you're going to Westchester/Connecticut or stay on it if you're going to the West Side.

I did it a couple of times when I lived on the Upper West side & was poor. The bus eventually heads south, but then dead ends, requiring a change of buses.

It's a bargain, but it's not super convenient.

At the right tie of day, a cab ride from an East Side hotel to LGA can be quick & relatively inexpensive.

Getting to JFK is always a bitch by car/cab.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The M60 bus ends at Broadway & 106th:

[​IMG]

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That thing was a monster. He was all "fuck you, I'm a rat. Come at me, bro." Fucker had to be at least 15 pounds.

8. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For personal trips, where I can leave enough time to get to the airport, I prefer JFK now, because I can take the subway/airtran there -- I live right by the A train and from door to terminal is maybe an hour and the total cost is $7.25, I think. That isn't much worse, and in some cases, better, than some cab rides I have endured heading there with traffic.

JFK is a bigger airport. International.

LGA is smaller, but not a small airport. Most New Yorkers, who don't worry about taking a subway to the airport (will just hop a cab or take car service) prefer LGA. It's easier to get in and out of than JFK, especially from the Upper East and Upper West sides of Manhattan. JFK is a bit of a hike (out by the Rockaways) and there always seems to be traffic. If I know I have to catch a cab (let's say for business) to the airport and I have a choice between LGA and JFK, I'll choose LGA every time. It is just a quicker too and from.

Draft saved Draft deleted