1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phone covers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So I've been searching for an inexpensive, but effective cover my new phone and with a million choices, I'm not really sure what I want. I've never bothered before because I've never had a phone worth protecting.

I'm not sure whether a hard plastic cover or a gel-type cover is better. Seems like the gel would absorb impact better, but I don't know if it'll be a pain in the ass to take out of the pocket of my jeans. I also read in several Amazon reviews that the gel ones tend to stretch and become unusable after a few months.

Do any of you have any recommendations? I'd like to pay less than $20 ($10 or less is preferable).

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I have a crappy gel on that I picked up on clearence for less than $5 at Verizon. It's done fine for protecting my Blackberry, and I'm not what you'd call gracefull.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

We let that slide because of your many other endearing qualities. And, actually, your lack of grace also is somewhat endearing.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I've got an Otterbox that I got off ebay. It's incredible (and about $20). Sometimes I throw my phone against the wall for shits and giggles.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've seen the otterboxes on Amazon (as low as $10 for the Impact series, $20 for the Commuter series) and they look pretty durable.

How are they for getting in and out of your pockets? They look a little big and being rubbery, I wonder if they kind of get stuck in your pocket.

How long have you had yours? A few of the reviews on Amazon said that after a few months they got stretched out and became useless.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

My insurance company thinks otherwise. ;D

Pern, I've only had the gel thing for about six weeks but it's really not showing any signs of wear and tear. My phone is always in my giant, bottomless purse, so I can't comment about the pockets.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Sorry for the delay. It's that rubbery stuff over hard plastic, so it doesn't really stretch. It does make it kind of clunky, but I don't have a problem getting it in and out of my pocket.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

My phone came encased in protective plastic.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe the type of frilly shit that has been invented and become indispensable to us over the last 5-10 years, and how much it costs for something that was probably made in Cambodia for 22 cents. And I say that as someone who needs a phone cover for my new Ally2.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

In my experience, gel covers for the BlackBerry get semi-warped in the middle as time goes on. They pucker outward and don't keep that snug fit anymore.

Gel covers, as mentioned, are also an absolute bitch to get out of a pocket. The one I got for my new phone was just impossible to get out of there. I gave up on it after a week, and it only took that long because I paid $15 for it and didn't want to feel like that much of a sucker.

I got a massive hard cover with my work phone that weighs just as much as the phone itself. We were told not to take it off the phone, but I did. Just way too bulky.

All that being said, if you can find a thin hard cover, that's probably best. But I've given up on 'em.

11. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

I have an Otterbox. It's awesome and is the best protection you could possibly expect for a phone. There is no issue with getting it into/out of your pocket.

The only bad thing about it is that it adds some bulk to the phone. My iPhone isn't as sleek and thin as it is without the case on it. But given that I care more about protection than form factor, it's perfect for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted