1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phish, to those who don't like Phish

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I've been to 2 Phish shows, enjoyed both of them.

All we play here in the gallery is the Dead or Phish. I'll take the Dead 7 ways till Sunday but I also just finished listening to Phish 10/31/94 for 2 weeks straight (it's a 4-disc set) and started to appreciate them much more.

http://livemusicblog.com/2010/08/02/video-what-phish-sounds-like-to-people-that-dont-like-phish/

As a side note, Wilco fans within 100 miles of North Adams might want to consider coming up to Mass MoCA for Wilco's weekend festival that starts tonight. Seems like a pretty nice get for little ol' North Adams.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Great. A hippie jam band thread. Just copy and paste the original post until it gets to 100 pages, then change to thread title to "GREATEST POST EVER!" and we can get on with our lives.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I love Phish.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Will listening to either the Dead or Phish turn me into a person who does not like to bathe?

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

All you play are the Dead or Phish? I'm not a fan, but it wouldn't matter how much I liked a band. If that's all I ever heard at work, I might be driven to homicide.

6. Songbird

Tons of CDs of live shows. You hear something new all the time.

I went to 25-30 Dead shows (including the last one) but didn't appreciate the music then. I do now.

Don't get me wrong, when no one is in the gallery I'm on YouTube a lot so I get my music fix.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If the Grateful Dead and Phish toured together, would it be the Dead Phish Tour?
    And would the average concertgoer smell better or worse than one?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I enjoy Phish, but the stereotypical Phish fan can ruin a show for someone who is more of a casual fan.

My roommate in college played "Reba" on an endless loop my freshman year. I hated it initially, but it definitely grew on me.

I wanted to like the Grateful Dead. I've seen a couple shows and while they're certainly not bad, I never understood what the big deal was.

9. Songbird

I've become a big fan of Bob Weir from all of this listening. Great songwriter, singer, guitar player.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Naturally, I enjoy Phish. But they've not inspired the same devotion in me that the good ole' Grateful Dead did.

I did enjoy this from a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9339331/after-30-years-consider-phish-great-band

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

If you ever saw the Dead on one of those nights when they really nailed it (about once in every five or six shows in their prime, less so toward the end), you'd understand what the fuss was all about. On those occasions, they had the ability to move 60,000 people to tears.

I'm enough of a Deadhead that I sprung for the 5 Days in May box that just came out, which is five consecutive shows in the Spring, 1977 Tour widely considered to be their best all-around tour, but for some reason Phish has never fired me up.

As far as the more recent vintage jam bands go, I lean more toward Widespread Panic, and, from having lived in or near New Orleans most of my adult life, the Radiators.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I enjoy Phish, too, but man, the wooks come out of the woodwork for them. Not my scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted