1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Talk Show host versus Phillies manager

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by zagoshe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure you've all seen this clip by now on ESPN and saw the talk show host in question, Howard Eskin, explain it.

These kinds of blow ups make for good television but I'm wondering if these episodes are good or bad for our business and whether you think the talk show host's line of questioning went too far?

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Howard Eskin is a bitter, bitter individual when it comes to the Phillies. He has a total axe to grind and is one of the grumpier hearted men in sports radio. Incidents like this, when a guy just won't drop the issue, are definitely bad for the business because even though he's not a print guy, he still found his way into print stories. The majority of gamers from that night focused on the Eskin-Manuel spat than the fact the Phillies got smoked again.

3. couple things ...

Eskin asked Charlie legitimate questions last night. he wasn't baiting him, wasn't out of line at all. Howard doesn't have an "axe to grind." He was in a press conference, asking a legitimate question of a manager whose team had just fallen to 3-9

my biggest problem with this whole thing is that the Inquirer and Daily News did not use Howard's name in their stories, just referred to him as "a radio personality" or something. every suburban paper used his name. not sure how you write about this and don't use the guy's name.

what makes this even stranger is that this morning, the Inquirer had an audio interview with Eskin on its web site, a poll about the incident, and several other things -- but they still hadn't added his name to their stories.

4. zagoshe

I think Eskin should send the Phillies manager some flowers......

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Braves' radio broadcast tonight mentioned the incident, but they didn't bring up Humble Howard's name, either . . .

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It would have little relevance to Braves radio listeners, but I don't see how you avoid mentioning the name in Philly newspaper stories. The guy might be an attention whore, but still...

7. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

FYI: There is a law against beat reporters using the name of any other writer and/or media outlet in their copy, unless those beat reporters are absolutely forced to use a quote followed by "told the Big City Press."
    It's the law.
    (Yes, I follow it to a T.)

8. zagoshe

There is a law?

9. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Yes, but unlike some laws, this one is governed by ego and pride. Sometimes my own.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Dear Reader:

Welcome to our pissing match. Sorry for any confusion it may cause, but we have egos to protect. Tune into a radio station that might be able to fill in the blanks for you.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Howard Fucking Eskin makes Colin Cowherd seem like Mother Theresa.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Even assholes have names. I see the Inquirer has used Eskin's in today's follow story.

Draft saved Draft deleted