1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philly Doctor Facing 8 Counts Of Murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Yup. A defense attorney's job is essentially to make sure that if his client IS convicted, it's because the prosecution has proven it beyond a reasonable doubt with their case standing up to full scrutiny. And to advocate for a fair sentence for the crime. Or to counsel their client to plead guilty where appropriate.

Sorry about the harsh tone, by the way, Double J. I wasn't calling YOU a "piece of shit" -- I was simply using your terminology to make a point.

That said, I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty because of the possibility of error, but this is one case where if the guy was convicted, I certainly wouldn't be crying over his execution. But bloodlust isn't good reason to scrap basic legal protections either.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've often wondered, given that Double J is probably saying what many people think, that is a crime is despicable enough and is the accused's guilt is a foregone conclusion, if maybe they should not have a right to counsel.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I blame civics teachers.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No.

5. Double Down

Also, legal TV dramas.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Don't worry, smallpotatoes is just doing his usual concern troll routine. I'm sure he'll have a thread up about some friend who listens to Michael Savage and how they said the craziest thing the other day, sometime soon.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Odds are that you'll have a breathless post about The Arcade Fire up first.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

If you search my post history here, I'm sure you'll find that I have maybe like 5 posts about The Arcade Fire in my thousands of posts. You must be talking about a different message board. Run along now.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with smallp.

I think that Constitutional rights should extend to all citizens except in the case of really bad people and Republicans.

10. Double Down

"The brilliant use of the xylophone in The Suburbs left me breathless." -- Double Down

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Are you people gonna force a guy with an Elmo avatar to be the voice of reason? Come on!

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

You're both right. Sorry for flipping out. But I had just read that link and......yeah. Overreaction.

I still believe the killer deserves to die - a very slow and painful death - if he is in fact proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.