1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phillies beat writer, Philadelphia Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JoshBarnett, Dec 9, 2007.

1. JoshBarnett

JoshBarnett Member

The Philadelphia Daily News is looking for a talented and energetic beat writer to cover the Philadelphia Phillies. The ideal candidate will be a dogged reporter who can regularly break news on a highly competitive beat but also savvy enough to identify trends and provide the perspective our readership demands.

We are looking for someone who is dedicated to covering baseball for the long term and would prefer candidates with experience managing a significant beat and working sources.

The Phillies writer also will provide content beyond the newspaper for our Web site, philly.com, and make scheduled television appearances on “Daily News Live.”

Please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples that best demonstrate your skills to …

Pat McLoone
    Assistant Managing Editor
    Philadelphia Daily News
    PO Box 7788
    Philadelphia, PA 19101

or you may send your materials via email at mcloonp@phillynews.com

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Jeebus, they actually had to post this? I would think they'd have a large drawer full of resumes.

3. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Did Marcus Hayes get the boot?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Marcus moved to Richmond with his wife, a doctor who got a good job there. He continued to work for the Daily News and may still be.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Last I heard, Marcus was staying on as a columnist. Steve King was being groomed for this job. Not sure what happened for it to open up.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would think this would be right up the alley for the soon to be ex-Reds beat writer for the Cincy Post...

7. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Rosecrans does a great job on that beat, and runs a very entertaining and reader-friendly blog. Die-hard Reds fans like me will miss him when the Post calls it quits.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

King's been writing most of the offseason Phillies stuff.

9. accguy

accguy Member

Don't know anything and am admittedly talking out of my ass. But could dominos have also fallen here with Dana O'Neill leaving the 'Nova beat for ESPN.com?

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Didn't know she left? Is that a fact or a rumor?

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I can't imagine this staying open for very long.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I agree. If anyone knows Trent, tell him to call PDN pronto. I'd hate to see him out of work for long. Guy knows his stuff and has a great sense of humor (check his blog).

And no, no, no... I'm not Trent. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted