1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia Phillies apparently turned stool pigeon for the NCAA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So what is "proper?" Team tells kid and his family they'll pay "X" - player goes to "advisor" and says they're willing to pay "X" and the "advisor" tells kid to ask for "X" plus another $100,000?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The point is, the Phillies had absolutely NOTHING to gain by turning the kid in. They weren't going to sign Wetzler anyway, and they could potentially damage future relationships with players represented by his agent.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like I said, the Phils were douchebags with this. And they better hope Wetzler never makes it to the majors, because if he does, he'll stick it up their ass every chance he gets.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

A dick move, but a totally calculated one by the Phillies. It plants the seed for future high draft picks who are still in college that they need to think twice before going back to school, especially if they have an agent.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You are giving Ruben Amaro an awful lot of credit.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My point is you should never be afraid of the truth. If you are afraid of someone finding out you did something, chances are pretty good you shouldn't have done it in the first place.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And in what's left of your mind, having a professional adviser as part of the negotiations is something a player shouldn't do?

I know I should just avoid you entirely, but sometimes you're just so goddamn stupid.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So tell us the truth Mark, why have you spent time in jail?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I don't know this particular situation, whether the player knew the NCAA rules or not. It seems that is the matter in question.

What I'm saying is don't take the approach "oh, I know it's against the rules, but I'll do it anyway and hope no one finds out."

10. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Didn't I read somewhere that some coaches have vowed to bar Phillies scouts because of this?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The anti-agent rule is one NCAA rule which absolutely should be, and would be, blown out of the water in 0.00003 seconds if any kid ever wanted to file suit directly against it.

ATHLETE JOE JOCQUE: I announce I have just hired I.M. Sleezy, P.C. as my personal attorney.

NCAA: We hereby rule you ineligible for hiring an agent to negotiate with pro teams.

JOCQUE: How do you know what I hired Sleezy to do?

NCAA: We think he is serving as your agent.

JOCQUE: Fuck you. Prove it. Maybe I hired him to fight a parking ticket.

NCAA: We will ask Sleezy what is the nature of his legal services and advice to you.

SLEEZY: Fuck you. Attorney-client privilege.

NCAA: Uhmm humma humma.

JOCQUE and SLEEZY: (Furious jacking-off fist motion)

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted