1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia newspaper employees planning to strike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 5, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What percentage of the healthcare costs do the $4,000 and $8,500 represent?

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Isn't the new trend to stick it to newspaper employees via the insurance plans? That's the cost cutting measure that seems to have taken hold of late. Best wishes to Philly employees. Worst wishes to management who came up with this great plan.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The second link doesn't have the percentages of the costs, but it says individuals pay $20 a week and families pay $50 a week.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Perhaps this is exactly what they wanted. Crush the union, sweep out all old hands. Start new, young and cheap.

Smart business if you ask me.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I was thinking Doc. But I refuse to call it smart business, just cut-throat stuff we are so used to in the newspaper industry.

6. YankeeFan

Isn't the real problem here the rapidly rising cost of health insurance?

It's not like the paper has been paying this much per individual/family previously. The cost is going up, and neither the company -- especially in this industry -- nor the employee can afford it.

7. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

Did it have amphibious pitchers?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

No. The real problem is management wanting to break the union. The scare tactics have everyone fighting against each other in a free for all. Young vs. Old. Union vs. non-Union. The bottom line is a strike will kill the Daily News. The Inky, while it can absorb a strike, isn't exactly journalistic power it once was. It's no longer the go-to source for information. Philly.Com loves young cheap labor and it shows in the product. Buckle up and hold on tight, this could get really ugly.

9. YankeeFan

How is a company, in an industry with declining revenues, supposed to deal with rising health care costs?

Companies that are making money are struggling with this, and with the uncertainty of where the costs may go.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Knock a million dollars off the CEO's compensation. That's a good start. Rein in other top-level packages.

11. YankeeFan

Do you think that would cover it?

I'm guessing it wouldn't.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

From the Washington Post on the new owner:

"Lenfest says, “I agonized for a while because, you know, it’s not a situation you’re in to make money."

Says Rendell: “Gerry needs his $10 million back about the way you and me need $500.”

Gerry Lenfest and the fight for the Philadelphia Inquirer - The Washington Post

There are roughly 400 newsroom employees. Say the insurance costs $1,500 a month. That's $600K a month, or $7.2 million a year, even before employees paying their contributions.

The guy can afford it.

Draft saved Draft deleted