1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Philadelphia approaches milestone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Jun 12, 2007.

1. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

I think people realize that. It's just a nice round number that's fun to make a joke out of. I had no idea the Braves were that close to 10,000 as well, though!

2. boots

boots New Member

There have been many awful Braves teams. Might explain the apathy in Atlanta today.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, Boots, it doesn't.

Atlanta fans were apathetic when Aaron was chasing Ruth in 1973-74, too. Routinely drawing 10,000 fans a game when their team had just won a division title in '69 and had only moved from Milwaukee in '66, less than a decade earlier.

They didn't break 1,000,000 in attendance in 1972, '73 or '74, with an exciting team on the field and when their best player was going after the greatest record in sports.

That had nothing to do with living through "many awful Braves teams." Hell, the team hadn't been there long enough.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can justify Hawk apathy.

Braves? No.

An AWFUL sports town.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

We've discussed Atlanta apathy ad nauseam. Please, let's keep this about Philly. :D

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought they were going for "Most assholes in one city..."

Boston would be a close second...

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Wouldn't that be Bejiing? Think about it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was pretty good...

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And New York would be where, exactly?

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

8 to go for the Phillies. I think they are going to get it either away at Colorado before the All-Star break, or at home against the Cardinals.

11. boots

boots New Member

No question the Phillies have made losing an art. But the town supports its franchises. That can't be said about a lot of places.
    As far as assholes, well the city is dipping in population so many of those assholes are leaving for sunny places such as Miami, Phoenix, LA. You get the picture.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Not really disputing any of this, but I'd point out that Atlanta in the early and mid-70s was really closer to a AAA-sized town population wise. IIRC the metro area surpassed 1,000,000 residents until the late 60s. It wasn't nearly as populated then as it is now. Just sayin.

Back on topic: I just read the SI piece about Philly, and it's highly entertaining. I particularly liked Danny Ozark's quote from 1979 after he was fired following five-straight losses: "Even Napoleon had his Watergate." Simply brilliant.

Draft saved Draft deleted