1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Mickelson- Real or Fake???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Jun 13, 2006.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

For you professional scribes, please share your insights into the seemingly "people's" champ. Is he fake as Vijay opined or truly the nice guy who tipped every worker at Bethpage according to Joe Rehor, head of Bethpage (per Ron Kroichick of S.F. Chronicle?

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I thought you were talking about his man-boobs.

I think they're real, but not spectacular.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

suburbs beat me to it.

Hey, maybe the tips depend on whether his bookie paid off that week or if he's got legbreakers leaning on him.

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Seriously, I know people who covered Bethpage and Baltusrol and they said he spent a LONG time signing autographs afterward, FWIW.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Vijay Singh said he's a phony? Consider the source. Every time I've encountered Mickelson, he's been very gracious, both with the media and fans. Vijay, on the other hand, is a prick who seemingly goes out of his way to prove he deserves that label.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Hey, cut it out!

Vijay was a gracious gentleman a few weeks ago on "The Apprentice" when the winners got to play golf with him at one of Trump's courses ::).

7. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I had Mickelson knock my recorder out of my hand during an interview. After I picked it up, he looked at me and said, "Not so close." Then slapped me on my shoulder and said, "Just kidding." Everyone got a good chuckle out of it.

Anyway, does it really matter if he's phony? Phony how? He is respectful to those around him, signs autographs with fans after a round for a while and on the course his smiles seem genuine and it looks like he really relishes the fact he plays golf for a living. Those of us who don't who wish we could, are glad to see someone who knows the are lucky and shows it.

Could he be a dick at times, probably. I mean, when we're at certain functions we act differently than if we're around buddies or co-workers and get irritated. Everone has their moments.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've covered some golf over the years and I have always found Phil to be delightful to deal with.

Is it genuine? Who cares? Is the guy a saint? I'm sure not, but it says a lot about a guy that he's typically pleasant to be around.

At the same time, I have found Tiger and Vijay to be complete pricks.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Buit the real question is, "Is he a FRAUD?" :)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If a guy is a consistent enough FRAUD, that's good enough for me.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've heard John Feinstein say many times that Mickelson literally schedules time in his day to sign autographs. If you're predisposed to thinking of him as a fake, you'll say how he just does it to check off a box in his day's routine. If you're more likely to think he's a good guy, you'll say that's another example of how he consciously takes time to be with his fans.

EDIT: For the record, I too thought this thread was about his physique when I read the title. I don't have much room to talk, but I try not to accentuate those "charms" with my clothing choices and am trending down in my weight.

12. I have no idea how I would live the lives these guys live if I didn't do things like schedule autograph time. Schedule enough, get the word around widely, and I have no problem with that at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted