1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Jackson spanked for "Brokeback" remark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, and I've watched the movie several times and it sucks, no pun intended.

And it is a terrible movie, not because it is about gay cowboys but because it was way too long, there was way too many scenes that were needlessly drawn out, it was way too predictable and cliche-filled and frankly there was nothing new or groundbreaking about it (I mean, how many times have we seen the "forbidden lovers" who are married to others and the conflict ruins their life story line.

"I wish I could quit you" -- that is compelling stuff.
    "No wonder you didn't catch any fish..." -- actually kind of a funny line
    One dude turns into an alcoholic and is depressed -- that's original.
    "He was killed by a bunch of homophobes in the field just like that gay guy my daddy showed me long ago" -- yeah, we didn't see that coming.

The only reason this movie received "rave" reviews is political correctness and I got a kick out of the way, in typical liberal America, this movie was framed as "if you don't like it, you must be a homophobe..."

Yeah, brilliant.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You watched a movie that you claims "sucks" several times?

Or maybe it was all that humping in the tent that you couldn't get enough of.

Zag: sj.'s answer to Pauline Kael.

3. zagoshe

Yeah, that's it, you busted me.

Jesus that's pathetic, or in your words, sophomoric.

I watch many movies that I didn't like -- particularly those which received all of these rave reviews -- more than once just to try and see if maybe I missed something the first time. Some times, like, Van Wilder for instance, the movie sort of grows on me.

In this case, it didn't.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Van Wilder? Van Wilder?

Case closed.

5. I felt the same way after several viewings of Kangaroo Jack.

6. zagoshe

I can see that with Kangaroo Jack, especially since Estella Warren seemed to get hotter every time I watched it.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't forget "Police Academy"

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So, is the implication in the backlash on this comment that gay men do not have sex? Seems that way.

If he goes Jenna Jameson instead of Brokeback, is there any reaction at all?

Looks like we need to merge this thread with the Taboo thread.

9. zagoshe

I'll tell you another one -- Beverly Hills Cop III -- the one at Wally World. Hated it the first time, the second time I found it a little bit more entertaining and it sort of just grew on me to the point where, if it is on, I'll watch it.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And speaking of gay movies, opening tomorrow (up here, anyway), "Breakfast with Scott", about a gay ex Toronto Maple Leaf.

The most astounding thing about this is that both the NHL and the Toronto Maple Leafs have allowed the filmmakers to use the Leafs logo.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20071115.wscot15/BNStory/Entertainment/home

And the usual suspects from Homophobes'R Us chime in.

Also floored by the announcement, but not as ecstatic was James Hartline, an ex-gay Christian activist in San Diego whose protestations of the NHL's decision on his blog received coverage in The New York Times. "Instead of sticking to the sport of hockey and making billions of dollars for its teams and players," he wrote, "the National Hockey League has now decided to join forces with the radicalized homosexual movement in their declared war on traditional family values and children."

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I had to watch Police Academy several times because I didn't understand it. What's up with those sound effects by the Winslow guy?

::)

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Where is this outrage you're complaining about? The GLAAD director was asked for a comment, he made a reasonable one, and the case is closed. The only outrage is yours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.