1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Jackson spanked for "Brokeback" remark

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Tasteless comment.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If he had said it was an "American Gigolo play" instead, you know the amount of outrage would have been greater. Is it really as homophobic as it is a misguided sexual reference?

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

"Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) president Neil G. Giuliano issued a statement saying: "Phil Jackson's been coaching long enough that he should be able to talk about the Lakers' performance without resorting to cheap gay jokes."

Perfect response. Doesn't demand a firing or sensitivity training or anything like that. Just calls Jackson a dumbass without making too big a deal of it.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why didn't they just call it "The Boots Game"?

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or "The Colgate Game"

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.

They could have added "cheap stupid sophmoric homophobic jokes"

I thought Phil was smarter than that.

Oh,and that was a great movie. Probably half the morons who make those kind of idiot comments never saw it.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

At least when Parcells made his "Jap play" comment, it was worth a really inappropriate, guilty, yet legitimate laugh. Jackson's line was just lame.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Exactly. My God this world is getting scary. This caused an uproar?

And I can tell you this - I was at a sports bar full of people who laughed their asses off when this quote was put up on the screen prior to the Lakers-Rockets game while Phil apparantly was apologizing or whatever.

Some people need to laugh.

Hell it might have been even funnier if Phil had said something like "Kobe I wish I could quit you...."

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Amen. Just comment, then shut the hell up about it before a lawyer finds you.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And now that the gay community has commented and "shut the hell up" are you and Hondo going to do the same with your equally rude remarks?

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Would this have even been a blip on the radar had he used "Wild Orchid" or some similar straight movie that has a lot of sex scenes? No, which is the point -- this was yet another example of political correctness run amok and some silly cause group's shameless opportunism, that is all it is.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

You're kind of making the point I was trying to make earlier in the thread. And if you see the tape of his comment, it seemed that a lot of reporters there thought it was funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.