1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phil Jackson, Roy Williams make HOF, Vitale doesn't

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Vitale ever goes into the HOF they should just burn the place down...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vitale didn't help that.
    The 1979 season -- while Vitale was fucking the Pistons up -- did that

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking of 79, ESPN Classic showed the Bird-Magic game last night. Pretty cool to see it again. That was the first Final Four I watched.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I thought the same thing. Apparently, screaming a lot and really liking basketball are two of the criteria for entry.

5. trounced

trounced Active Member

Dick Vitale's promoted college basketball better than anyone over the last three decades. Heck, if it wasn't for him ESPN may not have even survived. You don't have to like him but to suggest that he doesn't deserve Hall consideration is short-sighted.

6. m2spts

m2spts Member

As good as he is, Dick Vitale could only make the Hall of Fame as a broadcaster, and maybe he does deserve to be there.
    But look at the bigger picture. Does he?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And you want to put him in the hall of fame for THAT?

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Roy must have forgotten OT against Georgetown. He stood there, jaw agape, speechless the entire time. Guess Ol' Roy gives a damn about the HOF.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Thanks for weighing in, Gregg Doyel.

:)

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not a Roy Williams fan, but he's accomplished more already than Sutton did in his entire career. And Roy has at least a few more years left in him.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

F_B, I know which was one it is. I didn't complete the sentence like I was taught to do in grade school. But Billy Packer has a fucking smirk on his face as he arrives at the Georgia Dome right about now, learning that Vitale and ESPN are bumming.

Secondly, the state of Illinois created the term "March Madness" which is subject to debate down the road. Vitale can only be elected as a contributor only. There is no TV wing whatsoever. Vitale did help ESPN cover college basketball, but it was ESPN who carried the first (and maybe the second) round of the tournament in it's early days that really help cement their legacy in broadcasting college basketball.

Roy Williams has had more meltdowns and choke jobs that Eddie Sutton did, FWIW. 8)

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, but they are considered choke jobs because his teams are so damn good most of the time. Roy's already got more Final Fours than Sutton and Roy's got a title. He might catch Sutton in wins if he sticks around as long as Sutton did.

Both guys managed to get elite basketball programs put on probation on the way out, so they are even there. Sutton has the edge in DUIs though.

Draft saved Draft deleted