1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Phawker: Stephen A. Smith loses Inquirer column

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beanpole, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanpole

beanpole Member

Inquirer sports columnist Stephen A. Smith has been stripped of his column and has been offered a job as a general assignment reporter in the Inquirer’s sports department, according to sources inside both the Inquirer and the Daily News. Things reportedly came to a head during a meeting last Friday, when Smith was told of his re-assignment. Smith reportedly told his bosses he would give them an answer when he gets back from vacation in two weeks.

In the wake of painful lay-offs and general belt-tightening, Marimow has been taking a hard look at columnists. Gail Shister’s TV News column was the first casualty of this re-think. (FYI, Shister has a fine front page piece in today’s paper that has nothing to do with television news and not a single quote from a network anchorman.)

Sources believe Smith’s column has been in the cross-hairs for some time. “There was a time when the powers that be were just happy to have somebody that’s on ESPN on the masthead,” says a source who spoke on condition of anonymity. “But I think the new leadership has been asking itself for a while now whether or not the columns [he] was turning in were justifying his [reportedly generous] salary. And I think they decided he wasn’t bringing his A-game.”

http://www.phawker.com/?p=5426

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Stephen A stripped of column

What column?

And I'm virulently pro-desk-guy . . . but where were the Inky boys, in this and other such incidents?

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Somebody needs to cc Mr. Canzano about this.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this is a crying shame ... cue bruh.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and that was a solid Bluejays reference.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

who's the db?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loved how he was on cable, last night, pontificating about Michael Vick.

NBA only, please.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no. not even the nba.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hear ya . . . but I try to employ any energy I use, rooting, in pursuit of the possible.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

;)

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can one ever truly get enough of SAS bashing?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gillick was never the Jays' manager. General manager, yes, manager no. Unless things have changed I don't think he manages the Phillies either.

And I thought Gilliclk still had a place in TO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.