1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Tour pro cards a 16

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Apr 15, 2011.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We've all had tough days on the golf course ... but unlike PGA pros, after so many bad swings and lost balls, we can pick it up and write "10"

Kevin Na had to count 'em all at the Texas Open Thursday, where he flailed away in the heavy rough and thorn bushes en route to a 16 on the ninth hole.

Here's the video:

To his credit, he never swears or goes off on anyone ... although his caddy looks like he's ready to drop the bag and walk off the course.

For the record, Na was 4-under on the other 17 holes, but the 16 on No. 9 produced an opening-round 80.

So see Rory ... it could have been worse!

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Na is a good dude. I hope he makes the cut.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Isn't he the slow guy who was discussed here a while back? How long did it take him to rack up a 16?

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I love the reaction of just dropping the driver when he hit the second tee shot right.

Back in my heyday, I'd have resorted to the double ax-handle. Either way, Na showed a hell of a lot of character over the course of that sequence. Good on him.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's one of the best 80s of all time.

It's a twist on the old golf joke: "How the heck did you make a 16?" "I sank a 6-footer to avoid a 17."

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I always thought I was good enough to play on the PGA Tour, and now I know I am — if just for one hole.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I watched the video just for this, and it was better than advertised. That was awesome.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He's painfully slow, and he's the worst kind: he doesn't think he's slow. Can be obnoxious when he wants to be. I think that 16 was gift from the golf gods.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am sure I've taken 16 strokes on a hole before. But I definitely never carded a 16 on a hole before.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Kim Jong Il was pissed, until he learned it was on one hole and not the whole round.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I was working on my PGA status, taking the PAT. Opening hole, OB left, OB right, carded a 9.

Had to shoot 75-76 to pass. I had to play the remaining 35 holes 1-over. Most embarrassing 9 ever. I can't imagine a 16.

Heck, I can't even remember my last double-digit hole.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've got a catalog of spectacularly bad (and funny) shots I've hit... and they trump the good shots I can remember by about a 5-1 margin.

Damn you and your talent. :) When I go golfing, I get my FM radio station's worth of strokes, dammit.

Draft saved Draft deleted