1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Golfer banned for taking performance-enhancing drugs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Who? Never heard of him.
    The guy should have upped his dosage.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wake me when someone we've heard of tests positive. :)

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I wonder if it was Inderal, an anti-anxiety drug that some classical musicians are known to take by the handful because it helps with stage fright, particularly in the audition process. I guess you might believe it could help with the yips, too.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Inderal's not an anti-anxiety drug, it's a beta-blocker intended to treat hypertension and/or arrhythmias. It slows and steadies the pulse, rather than affecting emotions. That physical calmness is useful off-label to musicians and surgeons. Makes sense it would appeal to golfers, too.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Barron has actually been out there a lot, 238 PGA Tour starts. He was third on the Nationwide Tour money list one year. He's also got a Boo Weekley build to him, hardly muscle-bound.

But he might be the single biggest incentive for kids NOT to take PHD in golf. They've got to figure there's nothing out there that can help a golf game if the results are Doug Barron's track record.

6. The guy is no Joey Sindelar.
    Although it should be noted the guy has $3 million career earnings.
    Sheesh!

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There's always the assumption that if some middling person took PEDs, that must be an argument against them. Except that it's possible without the PEDs, that middling person wouldn't have even reached middling level in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted