1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Aug 7, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was another sport, but Pete Sampras' quote always rang true to me:

"Nobody remembers who wins in Philadelphia and Memphis. They remember the Grand Slam winners."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think we've gone too far in the other direction now, that wins other than majors don't matter at all. They aren't just exhibitions.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Who do think is responsible for that mentality?

Love Tiger, but he's the king of wanting it both ways on this.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure, but he doesn't set the rules. Tiger may not consider his other wins important. But that doesn't mean we can't, either.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tiger did spent a lot of time letting us know that majors are the only ones that count. But that doesn't mean that has to be the way we measure success or determine Players of the Year. It's certainly an option, though.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Maybe Tiger's season doesn't equal Phil's right now, but say neither wins the PGA and Tiger puts up another couple wins during the FedExCup Playoffs (I know, I know), I don't see how he's not Player of the Year. When you look back over Tiger's wins -- in any given year -- there's not a John Deere or Travelers in the bunch. They're all A-listers.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And that's fair. But it also seems to be the case in other sports. Unless you win the big one(s), you're thought of as less of a player. Certain exceptions are made, of course, but that's the general thinking of some.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. If someone wins TWO majors, I'll give him player of the year ahead of Tiger. But if no one wins more than one major, I'll go with Tiger's year-long body of work, unless someone just goes lights out during the Fed Ex Cup playoffs.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm surprised at how low the scores are early. Currently 25 players under par. I figured the winning score for the week would be around 8-under. Might be lower than that.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Love the fact that hole #14 is a driveable par 4.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Adam Scott blistering the course -- 5 under through eight.

12. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

With Tiger's former caddie and former swing. #irony

Draft saved Draft deleted