1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

PGA Championship 2024: Glory’s Mug Shot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deskgrunt50, May 15, 2024.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Xanda-do?

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Xanda-did

Twirling Time, HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Shoot 7-under in the final round. 20 under for the tournament. Can't even get into the playoff.

Oh well.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I thought he was repping ECU.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's evil to root for a playoff but I didn't want the Bryson show to end.

Hate how the media always bestows multiple majors on a guy right after he wins the first one but Xander's game has no flaws and today he showed the stones. There should be more on the way.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Xander showing huge guts, bogeys the easiest hole on course and bounces back immediately.

Then huge putts down the stretch.

Very happy for him.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Very very hard to win a major wire to wire, especially on probably (through no fault of its own, weather related) the easiest major course ever. I mean, Lowry threw a 62 at him Saturday and DeChambeau a 64 today, and he never really flinched. On a day where he knew he had to have birdies, Xander shot 65. Pretty goddamn studly performance.

qtlaw likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The howling for Valhalla to not get another PGA because of scoring is so unfair. 20 under won the COVID-era Masters. 20 under won Opens at St. Andrews and Royal Troon. And a PGA at Whistling Straits. You can't make the majors an oasis from the John Deere Classics when there's little wind and soft greens.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't think the scoring is why Valhalla is getting dumped on, but I could be wrong.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Weather makes courses at the top level. It was 51, misty and windy on the Cape Cod course I played (poorly indeed) today and in those conditions, there's no 20-unders out there no matter how good these guys are. The Royal and Ancient's attitude towards their rota is the sensible one. Some summers, it's warm, dry and calm by British standards and somebody will go real low to win. Some summers, it'll be cold or wet or windy or all three and then look out field. But the champ will still be the best player.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The last Open Championship to win with a plus score was at Rockport on Merseyside in 2008 (Padraig Harrington +3).

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I don’t care about course or score if we get a back 9like today. That was a great ending.

PS I thought Bryson would be the one to falter, not Victor.

Draft saved Draft deleted