1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning's "Legacy!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ralph Smith, Feb 4, 2014.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Not for the winners. They just win.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Adam Vinatieri's foot and a half-dozen other lucky bounces from having zero.

3. RickStain

*Why* should rings be a factor? Why is it one of the best ways? (And should the level of importance given to rings be the same for all sports)?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because championships are recognized by everyone except you as the pinnacle of the sport at that moment in time. If you consistently lead your team to the pinnacle of your sport, that counts for something. Like it or not, quarterbacks are leaders. No one would use rings to debate who the greatest offensive lineman of all time is.

I'm not saying they should be the only factor. Robert Horry is not the greatest basketball player ever.

But being a major reason or driving force behind your team reaching the loftiest height possible counts for a lot.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I just wanted to be a dickhead and take "architect" literally.

6. RickStain

It is the pinnacle for teams. Players are not teams.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But that completely discounts how Magic, the No. 1 draft pick, wound up with a team that went 47-35 the year before had was led by a HOF (and top-5 all-time) center in Kareem.

Put the No. 1 pick on the league's worst team (New Orleans, 26-56), who forfeited the pick as compensation for signing Gail Goodrich as a free agent, and it's unlikely Magic ever sniffs a ring. A similar heist brought L.A. ANOTHER No. 1 pick (Worthy) just two years later.

Teammates (and owners) are everything.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's also an indication of how you play against the best teams, whereas the regular season includes a lot of games against lesser competition.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I just wanted to make sure we weren't going simply by rings. NHMafia said he doesn't even look at Super Bowl rings in the context of this discussion, then you brought up Marino not being in the conversation because of no rings. I was simply saying IF you were to rank how good QBs are by rings, Eli would be the better Manning. I don't believe that to be the case at all.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess teammates don't matter.

Lebron should get credit for dragging those horseshit Cavs teams to the finals.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's why these arguments are ridiculous. Luck plays a much bigger role in these things than people are willing to admit.

12. RickStain

If that's what you are trying to measure, just looking at the ring count is an *awful* proxy.

Draft saved Draft deleted