1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning SI Sportsman (Moneymaker) of The Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 15, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Does SI generally see a spike in newsstand sales (or new subscriptions) based on the SI Sportsman of the Year issue?

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember hearing that the Jordan hologram Sportsman issue ages ago was the best selling non swimsuit issue in several years. I would imagine they sell better than a typical week, but I wonder how significant of a bump they get.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think Peyton Manning is a perfectly good choice. Guy missed an entire season at an advanced age. Nobody knew if he'd ever play football again.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The ME from SI was on NFL Network last night and he sure made it seem like it was a no-brainer.

5. Dick Whitman

They should have picked Jason Collins!

I'm biased, but I think a great out-of-the-box selection would have been Rocky Wirtz, the owner of the Chicago Blackhawks. That franchise was a non-entity in Chicago when he took over for his dad just a few years ago. Now they are the dominant franchise in the sport, with two Stanley Cup titles in four seasons and sell-out crowds every night at the United Center.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was for last season. Would have been more logical to give him the honor in 2012.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think that they didn't give it to him in 2006 when the Colts won the Super Bowl because they figured he'd be around a long time and would win another one. James was always going to get it last year. So when Denver crapped out in January, when award time came around, they gave it to Manning on the grounds "we'd better do it now while he's still around." Gave it to Nicklaus in 1978 for pretty much the same reason, then he surprised them by winning more majors.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A couple others that you could argue on performance, but not on magazine sales:

Inbee Park - 3 LPGA major championships

Jimmie Johnson - a 6th NASCAR title

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An excellent point regarding Peyton Manning. :)

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I assumed it was a scathing critique of SI - he'd rather have them get high than read SI, something they do on their smart phones.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You have to understand. It isn't that they make a lot of extra scratch on the newsstand sales - but the ad reps hit up every sponsor of the athlete selected.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Dick Whitman

Yeah, LTL, try to keep up.

Draft saved Draft deleted