1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peyton Manning, Madison Avenue poster boy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

The most valid proof yet that statistics lie.

I guess you missed Peyton's deer-in-headlights look and "I'm going to audible here because I have no idea what I'm doing" and the post-game nuking of his offensive line.

But hey, Peyton's stats were good so those who think he's an overrated choking dog must be unwashed.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Everytime I hear Peyton's voice, I wonder when he's gonna hit puberty.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I actually laughed at the Nextel spot because it was so intentionally cheesy.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I didn't miss 15 fourth-quarter points and a last-minute drive to put the team in position to tie the game with a field goal.

I must have missed the "deer-in-the-headlights" look because, well, that's just made up shit.

And I sure missed the "I'm going to audible here" because, well, he doesn't audible. Audible means changing the play at the line of scrimmage. Manning doesn't go to the line of scrimmage with a play called. He calls it AT the line of scrimmage. Kind of hard to do that if you don't know what you're doing.

I also must have missed the nuking of his offensive line. "We had protection problems," he said. Ooooooooooooh, that's a killer. It was also the TRUTH.

Stats have little to do with it. But if you really think someone who went 9 for 21 for 123 yards, 0 TDs and 1 interception had a great Super Bowl and thus is NOT an overrated choking dog, hey, ignorance is not against the law.

Ask 32 NFL GMs who they would take if they could have their choice of QB.

Let me know if any rank Manning below No. 2.

So either 32 NFL GMs are idiots . . . or you are.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

You can't be suggesting that Rothlesberger was better in the SB than Manning was vs. Pittsburgh.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Having seen my team go down on the way to Elway's first SB win, I can tell you that Elway was riding no one's coattails.
    You're young, Buck. You need to read up on your histoire.
    As for the trashing of Ben R., BTE, the guy tore a hole in Cincy, Indy and Denver's defenses. The numbers: 49-72 (68 percent) for 580 yards, 7 TDs, 1 int. All on the road. You got any other second-year guys who can do that?

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I've rather enjoyed the Manning spots. The ESPN one was great only because my brothers and I used to beat the hell out of each other druing things like that.

I also like Peyton asking the stock boy to sign his melon.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Having seen my team go down *during* Elway's first SB win, I can tell you that Elway was riding TD's 'tails all season long.

Thanks for the Geschichte lesson, though.

9. BTExpress

Didn't mean to "trash" Big Ben, but now that you mention it . . . .

A couple of years ago Manning had two "perfect" playoff games (158.3 rating) in two resounding wins . . . then had a bad game against the Patriots.

But he's not allowed to have a bad game --- even an average game --- in the playoffs.

Lesser quarterbacks are . . . as long as their teammates bail them out and make them "big game winners."

Just curious why that is.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Where did I say Ben had a great Super Bowl? Go back and find where I said that. I'll be here waiting.

If you don't think Peyton's a choking dog, then you're the one not paying attention, because the last 10 years suggest--no, DECLARE--he will ALWAYS find a way to lose. He and Dungy--another guy who gets progressively worse as the games get bigger, or I guess it was a coincidence Jon Gruden and the Buccaneers won the Super Bowl with Dungy's leftovers in 2002--are the greatest reverse lock in the history of mankind, as I said last year and as I will say again this year.

And why would I want Manning as my QB? Why would I want a smarter-than-thou know-it-all who continually cuts off his coach's nuts in front of all to see? Fuck that. Give me somebody else. I might not win the Super Bowl, but neither would the team that picked Manning.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's Two-Bit, Buckweaver. He thinks he's smarter than everyone else. You're not anybody until Two-Bit makes a cheddar cheese argument and calls you stupid for not seeing it his way.

12. BTExpress

You didn't.

But I'm waiting for an explanation as to why he's not a "choking dog" for posting a godawful 42 passer rating in the biggest fucking game of his life.

Could it be, perhaps, maybe, that TEAMMATES matter in this game? That the 11 players on defense usually have more to say about the outcome of a game than the person standing behind the center?

Don't the fact that Jay Schroeder, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer have Super Bowl rings while Dan Marino, Dan Fouts and Peyton Manning do not make this point abundantly clear to anyone with an ounce of objectivity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.