1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pew! Pew! That's a suspension.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Six year old kindergartner makes a gun with his finger, gets kicked out of school. Oy vey.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/03/ionia_kindergartener_suspended.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is nothing dumber than a public school administrator.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wow...Ummmm...Wow.

Fingers don't kill people...

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Except a newspaper executive

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Disagrees.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I agree with you, but in this case I'm not so sure they're wrong. After reading the story, it's been going on for months and the mother had been warned about it and seems to have done nothing to try to stop the behavior.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Uh, so? The punishment doesn't come close to fitting the crime.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

So what's your solution?

9. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

It's only a week long suspension, for something that the story says he and his mother have been talked to several times before. It's not like they expelled him.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sure it does.

The "crime" was not what he did with his finger.

It was ignoring several warnings over many months. If a 6-year-old cannot respect authority, what will he be like at age 16?

If you pull over immediately when signaled by a policeman, you may get just a warning for whatever violation you committed.

But if you ignore the lights and force him to chase you for several miles . . . then your punishment will far exceed your initial crime --- as it should.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think that this calls for a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY -- any kid who makes a gesture with his finger not only is expelled, he gets his fingers chopped off...... ::)

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Sounds like the mom didn't take the previous warnings seriously, either. If she feels there are "other, more effective" ways to get her kid to stop playing toy guns, perhaps she should have tried them at home after the school notified her the first time.

I hate it when parents expect the schools to raise their kids for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted