1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petrino to Falcons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, Jan 7, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The urgent has arrived, but just 3".

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Newberry needs to write faster dammit!

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This Louisville fan certainly won't villify Petrino. He's accomplished a lot at Louisville and this is an opportunity that is certainly better than Alabama or Oakland. Everyone knows he's had an eye for the pros, so it's not a shock to most fans.

It also means that (as expected) Bush and Brohm are both going. Can't fault any of them for their choices. They brought Louisville to the next level and its up to Tom Jurich to find the next coach.

Considering Jurich's track record, I think Louisville will do just fine.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

BTW ... props to Pancamo for the early alert. Big help.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Petrino already has been unmasked as a fraud, old man, especially after the Auburn shit.

The fact that he's remained at Louavill this long is a minor miracle. Town's only big enough for one fraud coach, anyway.

If I were him, I'd make sure I got most of that money up front, so when Michael Vick demands he gets fired by Christmas he'll be able to sit back and enjoy himself for a year or two.

(And I hear John L. is looking for a job. I'm sure he can un-nuke the bridges that Michigan State nuked for him a few years back.)

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I love four ESPN guys getting their name in the first six grafs of their story.

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino has accepted a five-year, $24 million offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their new coach.

Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Petrino told him about 8:30 p.m. ET that he had accepted the job and that Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager, had called this afternoon to tell Jurich about the offer.

"Bobby Petrino did a great job here at Louisville," Jurich said. "I'm proud of what he accomplished. I just wish we could have kept him longer. He will do a great job for the Falcons."

ESPN.com's Pat Forde first reported the hiring earlier Sunday night. Mortensen reported earlier that the Falcons were in deep negotiations with Petrino.

The Cardinals held a previously scheduled 9 p.m. ET team meeting at which Petrino will tell his players, the source said. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that an NFL source also confirmed the hiring.

"I'm in shock right now," Louisville kicker Arthur Carmody told ESPN's Joe Schad Sunday night. "I'm about to walk into a team meeting right now. We're coming off a great Orange Bowl win and we were all thinking national championship. I didn't think this would happen. He said he enjoyed college football. He's a great coach and we're going to miss him."

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

circle peg, meet triangle hole.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Explain that one, pube.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hate you. And it's Looavuhl.

Freelance beat me to it: Bye-bye Brohm and Bush!

11. As a long-time Cards fan (I feel I can say fan because I have never covered them nor will I in the foreseeable future), this bums me out. I thought the team might have a chance to keep Brohm and Bush around -- now that won't happen. I hope the team doesn't lose any recruits because of Petrino leaving. Who should the Cards hire? I heard John L. had moved back to the Ville...nah...

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nothing new, you've hated me forever.

There's a lot worse on the market. It's not his fault MSU leaked his hiring during Louisville's bowl game.

Draft saved Draft deleted