1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petrino phone record stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 11, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I couldn't help but notice that over the on the Jobs board, the Knoxville paper is looking to replace their No. 2 Vol reporter with someone who has experience with FOIA and other records requests. And this was even before the Petrino scandal took off. I guess Hart, Dooley, Martin and others on the UTAD staff should expect some Arky-style snooping soon.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

This could start a whole different discussion, and it's off-topic, but hell, it's my thread.

If you find a good reporter and you like him or her and the chemistry works, why is "experience" with FOIA necessary? It's a thing that can be taught, isn't it? Do a few of them, you start getting experience. It can be a learned skill.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

The paper trail he left is astounding. If Petrino were giving payouts to recruits, I think he would have used a university-issued check for the payment, and in the "re" line, would have written "NCAA Violation, 3.1.2.14"

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm somewhat coming around to the point of view that it's at least an interesting story for readers, whether it's actually relevant anymore or not.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Especially since one could FOIA all the FOIA requests and view a large batch of examples to see how it's done.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Has zero to do with her.

Has to do with him and his desires.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

But if they're paying for the service he's still open to FOIA.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Pay for everything yourself.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Perspective: Bobby Petrino and Jessica Dorrell exchanged about 23 text messages a day for seven months. Let's say they split the texts pretty evenly. Many members of this board post average more than 11.5 posts a day. Is that really an outrageous number of text messages to exchange with your girlfriend? I don't text much or have a girlfriend, but I have friends who exchange more like 30-40 texts a day with their significant others.

I find it obnoxious but not unusual.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many texts did he exchange with Mrs. Petrino?

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's the type of answer that would probably get you a lot of hits.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think you've got to follow the story to its logical conclusion. Tie a bow on everything. For the historical record portion of our job, it's almost an obligation.

Draft saved Draft deleted