1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Petition for Fox to have Vin Scully call the WS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Best idea I've heard in a long time. I wish Selig would force Fox to at least have Vin sit in for one game.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/let_vin_do_last_series_dbXiPZkR1fcjiQXIxepT0M

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wouldn't care if it was Vin Scully or Vin Diesel, as long as it's not Joe Buck...

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Only if they include Joe Garagiola with them. Those two were an institution for anyone who grew up with the NBC Game of the Week. The fact that they haven't been paired up since is a travesty, considering both are still alive.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Please, no.

Vin Scully was great for a lot of years but has been on the decline for at least a decade now.

If doing a game at the WS was his final act doing baseball on radio or TV, then it would be fine. I can watch a game with the mute button engaged.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Vin would never do it. Way too much class.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Would love it. I'd watch to see how long it would take for Joe to bitchslap McCarver.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It would be great if they gave him even one game.

And, either team him with Garagiola, or let him work the game by himself.

But please don't team him with Buck and/or McCarver.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Totally agree. He is still an institution to Dodgers fans and rightfully so, he can go on broadcasting in the market until the day he dies, but he does not sound good anymore to a casual observer and he would be ripped to shreds all over the Internet. I visited the LA area four years ago and couldn't believe how much he has slowed down, and I can only imagine that trend has continued with time.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

He makes a lot of mistakes, yes, and mispronounces words or phrases on occasion. Growing old is a bitch. For the past few years, I've thought that the Dodgers should have somebody sitting with him (not on the air) who could feed him pertinent stats and help get him straightened out when he starts to struggle.
    His stories remain priceless.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

LTL, I don't often agree with you. But this post (and jackfinarelli's) earn you each one "get out of IJAG's doghouse free" card.

On the off chance I stumbled across a WS game, if I heard Scully, I would turn it off even faster.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Let him do an inning or two.

These days he is perfectly made for a languid Sunday afternoon, a mild hangover in tow.

12. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Vin may have lost a few miles off of his fastball, but he's still better than 90 percent of the jokers announcing baseball today.

Draft saved Draft deleted