1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King is Scaring Me

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Then a cooking show is definitely next, oh Chef Of The Future!

2. I don't need NBC to make fun of Coach Nutty.
    I watched his act before he got to the league.
    And I think "sorority beer-pong league" just became a catchphrase.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

93-84 (.525 win pct). Finished at or below .500 in six of 11 seasons. Gone to the playoffs in 6 out 11 years and went 4-6. Twice failed to win a postseason game.

His track record is that he has initial success with teams and then his act wears thin on everyone in the locker room ("If you're not 10 minutes early, you're late") and the team eventually turns on him.

I hated the hire when they made and said at the time that this was exactly how it was going to play out. I just wish he didn't run off one of the best backs in the league (and nearly one of the best pass rushers) before the G-Men fired him.

He is following his career arc and now that he's on the downslope again, it's time for the Giants to part ways with him. I only hope they can lure Bill Cowher to Jersey.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Coughlin can be a miserable old man, Tiki. We get it ... we got it before you explained it to us time and again.

Yes, Coughlin can be too much to deal with among the other Giants - what, you don't think he hadn't a thing to do with Michael Strahan's basically skipping camp then showing up in time for the season? Coughlin's tough approach is a bit overkill.

But how quickly Tiki forgets that before Coughlin went to the Meadowlands that Barber was considered little more than a undersized, third-down back who fumbled too much. Tiki was consistently labeled little more than a holdover until a franchise savior came along. Coughlin and his staff worked on that little fumbling problem and helped make Tiki one of the better all-purpose backs in the league.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Tiki didn't forget that. In a couple stories I read about this situation, he credited Coughlin with making him a better player, but said the continual grind Coughlin put on his players wore him out and sapped his desire to play.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tiki's logic is flawed. On one hand he says that Coughlin is a great coach but on other he says that Coughlin ground his players down. It seems to me that part of being a great coach is keeping your players motivated to play.

I wonder how Tiki would have done under Vince Lombardi .

As usual Mike Vaccaro has the best take :

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09092007/sports/giants/cant_help_but_root_for_coughli.htm

7. Boom_70

Peter King has dandruff all over his dark suite tonight. Check out his right shoulder if you have HD. Its very distracting.

8. His career body of work is as a loon with a two-year shelf life.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Even Costas was making fun of him that he has Brett Favre's cell number.

10. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

yeah, that's sensible

make fun of an NFL reporter for having good access to a future Hall of Famer

we've ripped Peter on here for everything else ... why not rip him for being a good reporter, too

11. Boom_70

Costas must read sj or he would not have made fun of PK on that.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

But Peter makes it part of the story that I HAVE THE CELL PHONE NUMBER.
    A good reporter doesn't flaunt it.

Draft saved Draft deleted