1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter King, Enforcer of elevator etiquette

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 26, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My favorite thing in the world is when a jerk tries jumping ahead of me in the right lane. My car is a 17-year-old motorized dent given just enough TLC to keep the engine running. It is a total hooptie city car that gets left on the street without much care about what anyone does to it. And if you can imagine it, it has been done to that car.

You try cutting into traffic ahead of me, and I am not you giving a millimeter. If you want to play that "no eye contact" thing, I am going to play "let's bump and then decide who the winner in this battle was."

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, I think I've given you two of those dents, Rags!

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Funny stuff. Ragu - how many fender benders have you gotten into using that driving style?

the one flaw is that at some point your insurance rates could go up.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's terrific. Reminds me of a legendary CBC guy Allan McFee who drove a beat up old wreck and did the same thing PLUS he'd make a point of nailing people making illegal left turns.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Funny stuff but just seems like a high risk time waster to make a point.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Peter King vs Jay Glazer vs Doyel

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That car really doesn't even get out of New York very much, and I have never had an accident, believe it or not. Well, except once when I was double parked and I got clipped by a truck. The other dents, happened either before I had the car or when I wasn't in it. I once came out to find it with a mangled driver-side door. The thing was just caved in. I have no idea how it happened. But the car still drove and it just added to its character, so I embraced it. I have various nicks from people who didn't know how to parallel park. I have had windows randomly broken for no reason, a side view mirror yanked off, the worlds crummiest hubcaps stolen, etc. If I don't have to fix it or replace it, I don't. If I do, I just drive it over to this sleazy place in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, run by a guy whose name I don't know and don't want to know, who can replace a car window in two hours. All cash, very little talk. When he replaced the side-view mirror, I showed up a few hours later to get the car, and he said, "Good news. I found one in the same color." I didn't want to know if that meant it came from a used parts guy down the block or another parked car somewhere that looked like mine.

But as far as fender benders, I can drive that thing like I own the road and everyone shows that car the respect an aging special forces commando deserves. I can't count the number of times someone was pulling the "cut into the right lane in traffic to skip the exit line" move, yet no one has ever been stupid enough to play the game of chicken to the very end.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

"motorized dent." You have a way with words.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They aren't trying to make a point. They're trying to make an impression.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Peter King left out the part where he cut one in the service elevator and giggled hysterically.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Frackin' awesome. Kudos.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You know something? I know he's a running parody around these parts, but I'm with PK here.

The other guy was being an arrogant, me-first/F-the-rest-of-you, narcissistic asshat, the likes of which are metastatizing far, faaaaar too frequently these days. It's all about him. Well, fuck that.

Was PK crossing the line by calling him an A-hole? Probably. But I'll give him a pass here in this context for taking a stand that -- at least in this province -- was necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted