1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter Jackson will direct "The Hobbit" after all

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And it will be two films, released in December 2012 and December 2013:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/urgent-peter-jackson-negotiating-to-direct-the-hobbit-films/

No casting decisions made as of yet, according to the link.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

milk, milk, milk that cash cow...

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Up seven bucks today on HSX.

Wish I read this sooner. I am in for about $300,000 on this.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I was going to say that I hope he hires a competent editor ... seeing that it will be split into two films tells me he decided against that.

I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but, man, that guy needs an editor who will tell him when to cut something out of a film. The 20-minute dinosaur stampede in King Kong is all the evidence needed to tell you that.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He'll make a fortune on both films. $300 million a film easily.

I will see neither one.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

King Kong was fantastic. Those action sequences were amazing.

That is all.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

King Kong COULD have been fantastic. The dino stampede (among other scenes, such as the insect pit) was entirely too long and there are several shots where it's completely obvious Adrien Brody and Jack Black are running in front of a screen.

They did a phenomenal job on Kong. He's the best looking fake gorilla in the history of the medium. Unfortunately, you get the idea they spent so much money on getting him right, they didn't have enough left in the budget to get ALL of the CGI right.

That said, the T-Rex battle (and Naomi Watts choosing to step behind Kong rather than face the dinosaur) was worth the price of admission. That scene was just incredible.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Naomi Watts is worth the price of admission.

10. King Kong? Seriously? 90 minutes into that damn movie and we hadn't even seen the monkey yet. Two and a half hours in and they hadn't even caught King Kong.

And I'm still pissed at Peter Jackson after watching "The Lovely Bones" two weeks ago. Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The worst ending to a movie ever.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I will not allow any of you to besmirch Peter Jackson's work on Lord of the Rings. That entire trilogy is a f-n masterpiece and, if anything, should have been an hour or two longer to include what Jackson cut from the work.

No Tom Bombadil? No Scouring of the Shire? Bullshit man. Bullshit.

(I do agree they could have trimmed up some shit in The Two Towers though. God damn, how long do we have to watch trees march?)

I'm excited for this project. Loved the Hobbit books and will be there, with bells on, at the Opening Day Midnight Showing. Book it.

12. I'm with you that the Scouring of the Shire needed to be in there, and it definitely could have been added to Return of the King simply by getting rid of the half hour of everyone hugging everyone else good bye at the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted