1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peter Gammons undergoes emergency brain surgery

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Keep this man in your prayers tonight. One of the classiest baseball writers in the business; and Gammons remains the only ESPN regular I can stand.

Get well soon, Peter.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2006/06/27/gammons_stricken_undergoes_surgery/

EDIT: I see I was beaten by about a minute on the JTO thread. But I don't see the harm in having it here, too.

SECOND EDIT: The original item was just a three-graf blurb. Bob Ryan has now filed a full story on the same link.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

This is scary.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

He was supposed to be on a radio show at 3 p.m. today in SoFla.

I wonder when he was stricken.

All prayers with him.

Among a BUNCH of pretenders, one of the true giants, and a great guy.

Damn.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

ESPN head just said that Gammons is "probably" the most recognized baseball writer of his generation.

Who would even be close to him?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He also said he "was" 61. Do they know something we don't?

6. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

He is my favorite TV guy, favorite writer, favorite sports person. He is Baseball Tonight. He is baseball to me.

7. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I don't know Peter, never talked with him, only have brushed shoulders behind the cage a couple of times ... and this news is horribly depressing to me. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In a thread about Orestes Destrade on June 16, I wrote something about his neurons not firing correctly, so this isn't surprising.

I do hope he pulls through.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't think there is such a pre-aneurysm condition.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

There kind of is.
    A friend of mine died at 52 of the same thing.
    Other co-workers were stating that he was saying some bizarre things in the 2-3 days before it burst.
    At the funeral home, someone else said he had told him that he was diagnosed with blood clots in his shoulder, but his wife said he'd not been to a physician in the 4 months before.
    The signs can be there, unfortunately. You just don't know what it is till it's too late.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe not, but anyone who's watched him the last year or so (and plenty of posts to numerous threads here speak to it) have seen a rapid deterioration in his verbal capabilities.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I would agree, but recently he seemed to be doing a lot better.

Draft saved Draft deleted