1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

pet peeve -- strangle

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, May 26, 2009.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I know, isn't it ironic. ;D

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Meanings of words change. You can't argue that.

15 years ago, many editors refused to recognize "party" as a verb.

That fight is long lost.

You can keep writing in Dickens if you like, though, guvner.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So when a person is submerged under water for two minutes and lives. But because of this, they have permanent brain damage.

What happened to them? Overly submerged?

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

I yell at the TV a lot, mostly regarding over/under vs. more than/less than/fewer than. That might be sad enough, but I don't limit it to newscasts. I do it during TV shows and movies, too.
    Most people just give me weird looks. My fellow deskers get me, though.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You can have a 'near drowning.'
    'Smith almost drowned, suffering brain damage from oxygen deprivation.'

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, "strangled" is now correct, even by my definition:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/26/arizona.tyson.daughter/index.html

rip, little angel. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not really germane to the discussion, but I always thought the origin of the word "electrocute" was a funny story.
    Way back when electricity was becoming common in many households in the late 1800s, Thomas Edison was a champion of direct current and George Westinghouse (of Westinghouse Electric fame) had a system for alternating current. AC, a much better system, won out and Westinghouse made a fortune.
    Eventually, using electricity became a method of execution. But since it was new, no one knew what to call it. It was narrowed down to two terms -- "electrocution" or "Westinghoused". Mr. Westinghouse objected, so they went with electrocution.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yes, and they want to know why spelling and grammar matter.

I just say if you want to continue being stupid, go ahead. Write you're sentenses wrong and you'll go far.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

The goddamn Germans got nothin' to do with it!

[​IMG]

Now lemme have a diablo sandwich and a Dr Pepper and make it fast, I'm in a goddamn hurry!

10. Hilariously, I came here to post that I'm bothered by "you can't argue that."

"It's hard to argue that the Cavs are struggling right now."

I read that as "It's hard to make the case that the Cavs are struggling right now." But the writer will inevitably mean, "It's hard to refute the notion that the Cavs are struggling right now." Madddddddening.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Oh damn. That's funny. Westinghoused is also a funny word.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'll battle to the death on this.
    "I could care less" is a colloquial expression. It is no different than "I could give a crap." It is not meant to be a grammatical statement.
    "I could give a crap" makes no sense, either. It's just what people say. Only there's usually a different word involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted