1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet Peeve: Box scores that don't add up

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Jan 21, 2008.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Right, and right. If you award a rebound for every missed shot, you're going to end up with more rebounds than shots because of free-throw misses (I don't see this as a problem, just saying the number of misses and number of rebounds will be different). My trouble is that I sometimes just plain end up with a box that doesn't work. It's, like, missing two points somewhere. And unless you've kept a complete play-by-play, which is probably impossible while doing a box, too, you have to just make something up. After all, you still have to write the story, and you probably have about 20 minutes to do it.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I always end up with different turnover numbers than what the "official" stat girls tally up for basketball. It seems like they don't understand an offensive foul — or even a pass that goes out of bounds — is a turnover.
    Wrestling is also a fun one. I just covered one of our area league's dual tournament — seven rounds of four duals each. At least half didn't have the first names of wrestlers, and a HUGE number of them had big errors, such as the wrong team score or the wrong kid winning a match.

Draft saved Draft deleted