1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Perspective

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by albert77, Apr 15, 2011.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

When you start to take yourself a little too seriously, or maybe start taking life for granted, consider the case of a young man named Chase Wroten.

Chase was a D-1 pitching prospect coming out of high school, but chose to get two years of juco ball in before moving up. He was on the mound for Hinds CC Wednesday afternoon, when he called his catcher and then the coach out to the mound. Said he felt like he was going to pass out.

He was taken to a hospital in nearby Jackson, where doctors discovered a blood clot on his brain. During surgery, he went into stroke-like seizures, which resulted in loss of brain function.

Chase Wroten was declared brain-dead earlier this afternoon and died about 5 o'clock after his parents took him off life-support.

I'm just having trouble getting my mind around the suddenness of this. In the space of about 48 hours, this young man went from pitching in a baseball game to dying. All I can say, I guess, is to cherish each moment of life, now matter how difficult, because none of us are guaranteed tomorrow.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Story I read says the decision to take him off life support was made at 4 p.m., but he died at 3:15. How is this possible?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe he was brain-dead, but the life support kept the rest of the organs functioning so they could be donated?

Draft saved Draft deleted